Somec frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sebinho

Hi, Back with another repainted frame from the same seller as the Zeus frame I posted earlier. It's a Somec and and listed as a 1984 model with Columbus Aelle tubing. Looks identical to others that I've seen online. The Somec frames seem to go for very high prices in Europe. While I can afford this frame, I need to weigh up what (and what costs) will be involved in fitting it out. A complete Campagnolo fit out is out of the question, at least in the short to medium term. I'm thinking of using the wheels, cranks, gears, brakes from my Principia Rex, if possible. I'll later sell the Principia frameset. I assume this Somec frame has Italian threads. While it seems easy enough to find bottom brackets with Italian threads and with a variety of spindle types (I believe my Ultegra cranks from around 2001 have octolink spindles (correct?), so that's what I'd be looking for), finding an affordable headset looks more challenging. Any tips here?

Here's the frame. Would be great to hear your thoughts. The frame is my size, 59, something hard come by in Brazil for some reason, and for sale here in my city. So it's tempting - certainly looks nice.

All the best and a great weekend to all

D_NQ_NP_2X_780662-MLB54467300928_032023-F.jpg

D_NQ_NP_2X_797541-MLB54465052467_032023-F.jpg

D_NQ_NP_2X_689620-MLB54467201810_032023-F.jpg

D_NQ_NP_2X_613628-MLB54467300924_032023-F.jpg

D_NQ_NP_2X_616853-MLB54467278750_032023-F.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks nice and in good condition. Isn’t Aelle one of their lower grade tubing? Had a Colnago in it once and was quite heavy.
if it’s in your size and reasonably priced go for it.

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

I bought the frame. Very nice indeed and doesn't feel too heavy. I wrote to Somec too and sent photos. They replied that they don't have records of early models but that it is a late seventies frame. It's also seems consistent with the Aelle frame (ART. 004) from their 1983 calatolgue (page 8): https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/somec/1983/

One thing I'm curious about is the brazed on lug on the seat stay above the derailleur hanger. Can anyone post a picture of one of these lugs in use?

derailleur.jpeg

Thanks, cheers,

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I bought the frame. Very nice indeed and doesn't feel too heavy. I wrote to Somec too and sent photos. They replied that they don't have records of early models but that it is a late seventies frame. It's also seems consistent with the Aelle frame (ART. 004) from their 1983 calatolgue (page 8): https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/somec/1983/

One thing I'm curious about is the brazed on lug on the seat stay above the derailleur hanger. Can anyone post a picture of one of these lugs in use?

View attachment 688144

Thanks, cheers,

The lug is to hang the chain on when you remove the wheel.

If you are looking for affordable Italian headsets look at Ofmega. Yes, there are some at silly prices on eBay but the majority are well priced and if you look around you may find something new old stock for less than the price of second hand Campagnolo

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

If you are looking for affordable Italian headsets look at Ofmega. Yes, there are some at silly prices on eBay but the majority are well priced and if you look around you may find something new old stock for less than the price of second hand Campagnolo

Thanks for the tip. I wasn’t aware of Ofmega. Some nice looking parts.

Top Bottom