Someone has just told me on the phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

that their kids Sports day this year is a Non Competitive Sports Day ;):ohmy:

ie no winners medals or anything, no sticker for 1,2 and 3 places just a prize for best organised team.

What the hell is that about?? Were are turning into a nation of wimps and panders?

What! you shouldn't do something to win anymore and become better at it.

Seriously what is that all about. It's the taking part that counts nonsense!

ChrisKH

Guru
Yep we've got that at my son's school. However, later on they hand pick kids for representing the school at touch rugby, running, etc. and the kids never get to try out and compete for the place. So for pc purposes they have a touch rugby team picked by one teacher, say, made up from the seven best runners in the class, three of them girls. The usual suspects, I was going to say. Now I know some pretty mean female rugby players (aged 7-11) but these girlies are not it. Meanwhile two boys not selected for touch rugby are playing competitive contact rugby (very successfully I might add, both being leading try scorers for their teams) for a club outside the school. Where's the sense in that?

Rant over.

OP
OP
G

Greedo

ChrisKH said:
Yep we've got that at my son's school. However, later on they hand pick kids for representing the school at touch rugby, running, etc. and the kids never get to try out and compete for the place. So for pc purposes they have a touch rugby team picked by one teacher, say, made up from the seven best runners in the class, three of them girls. The usual suspects, I was going to say. Now I know some pretty mean female rugby players (aged 7-11) but these girlies are not it. Meanwhile two boys not selected for touch rugby are playing competitive contact rugby (very successfully I might add, both being leading try scorers for their teams) for a club outside the school. Where's the sense in that?

Rant over.

That's just ridiculous. The world is going mad. So what if you can't run, jump, play football, rugby etc.... You'll be good at something else.

Greedo said:
That's just ridiculous. The world is going mad. So what if you can't run, jump, play football, rugby etc.... You'll be good at something else.
Posting nonsense on a cycling forum??? :biggrin:

Actually, we used to have sports days at my primary school. And I used to always lose. Never won a thing. Until one year. I won something! The sack race I think it was, or something like. Anyway I got my prize. Later in class, the teacher, who didn't have a lot of time for me, said, in front of all the other class "he only won it because the others competing were such cr@p" (well she didn't really use that word, such utterances were taboo in the 1950s, but less coarse words to that effect). Anyway I never forgave that teacher.

Perhaps they've got a point here. Every competition has winners. But it also has losers.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We had this shite at my son's school last summer; I was disgusted. The kids were split into small groups and rotated around ten or twelve little outposts on the playing field where they did things like throwing hoops over pegs and chucking bean bags into buckets.

I saw the new Head recently and asked her if the kids were actually going to get out of breath this summer. From her reaction she felt the same way as me and she promised that it would be a proper sports day.

Political correctness and H&S are ruining this fecking country, I tell you.

Globalti said:
Political correctness and H&S have ruined this fecking country, I tell you.

how's that?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Proper sports day at ours with stickers, certificates and a trophy for the winning house :evil:

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
When I was a lad our sports days had trophies and stuff. I was on the school rugby league team as well, I almost went career with it but a badly damaged cruciate ligament made sure I didn't.

darkstar

My las sports day was about 4 years ago now, used to love them every year. The competition is what makes it interesting. The winners should be rewarded and the losers should be inspired to improve! Also how would a talented athlete qualify to run in the county schools championship?

4F said:
Proper sports day at ours with stickers, certificates and a trophy for the winning house :tongue:
Sorry 4F I speed read the above and read it as horse and thought that your school must have been realy progressive.

P.S. I also think that the competitivness has been removed from schools because of PC, H&S and silly insurance company policies.

Top Bottom