Someone help with a bike carry for car please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrMister111

Über Member
hi

I have got to get a bike carrier for the car, I had a strap type and hated it, putting it on and off was a 'mare.

I have a Nissan Qashqai. I want to carry 4 cycles (2 adult, 2 kids), althogh may go with 3, and put one of the kid's bikes in the boot (its a small 7 years old one).

Can anyone help, hoping not to spend more than £100.

Any suggestions? help? roof? rear mount? its mainly for short journeys, eg to the coast, park, forest and back (15-45mins)

cheers

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
MrMister111 said:
hi

I have got to get a bike carrier for the car, I had a strap type and hated it, putting it on and off was a 'mare.

I have a Nissan Qashqai. I want to carry 4 cycles (2 adult, 2 kids), althogh may go with 3, and put one of the kid's bikes in the boot (its a small 7 years old one).

Can anyone help, hoping not to spend more than £100.

Any suggestions? help? roof? rear mount? its mainly for short journeys, eg to the coast, park, forest and back (15-45mins)

cheers
Have you got a tow bar? If not, then rear is out (£200ish to get the towbar fitted, then another £100+ for the carrier).

Roof rack might be cheapest (that was out for me as I'm not strong enough to lift my bikes that high - and in any case I just might want to have kayaks on the roof at the same time as a bike on the back!)

Just beware - you know some of those car parks to beauty spots or picnic areas that have a low barrier to stop trucks going in....
don't drive under one with bikes on the roof

(I know someone who did - he was not a happy bunny!)

GrahamG

Guru
Ditto - I got a four bike towbar carrier for £50 but that's a rare find. IMO, there's nothing convenient about any rack that can take four bikes!

OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
I dont have a tow bar no, sorry should have mentioned. Not sure on a roof one either as you say dont think I'm strong enough either, and with my bad back, prob not best idea!

So maybe a rear door/boot type one? Looked on Thule website and found which says fits for my car a QQ, says a Thule ClipOn 9104. Anyone any experience on these? found it for £80 online?

As I say its only for casual use, popping to coast with kids, as its too far for my little one to ride to the coast. The Thule 9104 looks good and folds up to allow to go into boot after use too, also on some pics it looks like you can open boot with it attached, unsure if this is marketing gimmick or not though

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Spinney said:
Just beware - you know some of those car parks to beauty spots or picnic areas that have a low barrier to stop trucks going in....
don't drive under one with bikes on the roof

(I know someone who did - he was not a happy bunny!)

I know someone who did that with his brand new bike that he had been given by his wife for his birthday ... and he had bent the frame even before it was his birthday:ohmy:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Putting bikes on the roof of a motor can be an art. Be prepared to open each door and stand (wobble) on the sill. Do you have another adult to help ?

Top Bottom