Someone motivate me please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Help, only a few days to go till Amsterdame and both me and Jane have fallen in the "What the hell have I signed up for? I really don't want to go mind set. It's not just that the ride itself seems absolutely overwhelming now, I just feel completely rushed...still have so many things to do before we go, college work to finish, stuff to sort out, etc. - it all feels like a mad rush... And then as soon as I get back, I have to do it all again (feeling probably absolutely shattered as well...)

At the moment I just want to drop out and sit around doing nothing - including no riding for a few days. I know I'm not going to do that and let myself and all the sponsors down, but at the moment I really wish I could!!!

Can someone motivate me please? Was so looking forward to this, but at the moment it just feels like the worst idea I ever had! :wacko:

Feel like I haven't had a chance to just chill for absolutely ages... :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll be fine when you get there - it's not a race - just enjoy it - you'll be flying along without even thinking about it !!!!

yello

Take a deep breath, calm down and deal with things one by one! Write a 'to do' list, if that what works for you, and order it in date priority. Tick stuff of as you do it. Treat your Amsterdame ride as a holiday... and look forward to it!

You'll be fine! A little attack of nerves never did anyone any harm. :laugh:

HelenD123

Guru
Maybe you shouldn't try to do too much cycling this week? It's not going to add too much to your fitness and will mean you can set off feeling fresh and full of enthusiasm. Concentrate on the other things that need sorting so you can forget about them during the ride. I can sympathise with the college work. I've taken a week off to get all mine finished. Got to be handed in in two weeks!

Amsterdame looks fun. I know it won't be easy but once you set off all you have to think about is the cycling and you'll be able to chill in a way. Don't stress!

redfox

Its normal, I think the charity element brings with it a weight of expectation that wouldn't be there otherwise.

However, you will be there, you will finish it and you will have a smile on your face a mile wide for weeks afterwards!

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
It's not just the riding - was planning to take that easy for the rest of the week anyway, it's everything else I have to sort out before we go (and after) plus the fact that the distance all of a sudden seems completely overwhelming...my legs are tired after doing 55miles yesterday, how the hell will I manage 275 in four days??? WAH!!! I have put as much training in as I could, but it just doesn't seem enough...

Christopher

Über Member
Go get 'em Punky!

Feh, you'll be fine. I am sure no-one is a flat-out racer gal and anyway you all have to stay together. Isn't the whole point of the ride is that it isn't a devil-take-the-hindmost sportive? Think of it - a pleton of women riding through the beautiful countryside. Think I'll head to Hull this weekend.

You'll have a great time. Tell us all about it when you get back! :laugh:

redfox

punkypossum said:
how the hell will I manage 275 in four days???

You will because its what's required and the brain has a funny way of conditioning you to finish the job in hand before succumbing to exhaustion.

Your legs will be sore at the start of the second, third and fourth days, but the soreness disappears within the first five to ten miles of each day.

Moving outside your comfort zone is never easy, but it sounds to me like you will be fine!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Holland is being temporarily realigned so that cyclists can freewheel in both directions, the better to enjoy the bulb fields and the fine weather that is forecast.

Keith Oates

Janner
punkypossum, riding in a group of like minded people will take your mind off the distance and it will just be miles under the wheels without noticing too much. The break will also bring you back to finish your other stuff fully refreshed and happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noodley

I get nerves a few days before a ride, I have now come to expect it but it still does not mean I don't think "bollocks to this" and find something else to do instead - I have a list of "other things" I could find to do which become even more important as the ride nears.

Things will take care of themselves in due course. You've been building up to this ride and you'll manage fine.

Tynan

Veteran
stop wobbling, it's natural

it'll be so much fun and so much easier than you're thinking, some poor sap will struggle with sore arse, bust bike, injury but it won't be you because you're prepared

You'll do it. As said already, pre-ride nerves. Stick to your plan this week, all those miles in the legs will come into play come Friday and riding with others and the rush of doing it will keep you going.

Just spend the rest of this week clearing your head, thinking through all the tasks to do and by Thursday you'll be relaxing into your planned routines.

Besides you have to do it. We sponsors demand our pictures and stories. :rolleyes:

ASC1951

Guru
You'll be fine, Punky.

The apprehension is all part of the experience. Enjoy that as well.

I used to get the dry mouth and hollow insides before big caving trips. Sometimes it lasted right through until I got out again!

Top Bottom