Something different

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
Evening one and all hope you are keeping well.

So because frankly im blinking useless when it comes to making up my mind I decided to start another thread. I had a thread I started on Bromptons but I think thats run its course now. I recently sold my Kona Sutra which was a hell of a bike but actually over the top for what I was using it for. So what was I using it for. Well you did ask ^_^
My commute is 8mls where about 2/3rd is B roads and country lanes and the remainder is town riding. Its mostly flat with a little bit of hilliness.

Bikewise I want something with a flat bar and the potential for a bag or bags. Most importantly I want something different with a sub 2k budget. Without meaning to sound pompous im pretty bored with the general hybrid offerings. I used to commute all year round but now I avoid ice & snow and the dark winter nights. But I like to go for a ride just for the pleasure of being on a bike and enjoying the scenery.

So what do you think folks ?

Evening one and all hope you are keeping well.

So because frankly im blinking useless when it comes to making up my mind I decided to start another thread. I had a thread I started on Bromptons but I think thats run its course now. I recently sold my Kona Sutra which was a hell of a bike but actually over the top for what I was using it for. So what was I using it for. Well you did ask ^_^
My commute is 8mls where about 2/3rd is B roads and country lanes and the remainder is town riding. Its mostly flat with a little bit of hilliness.

Bikewise I want something with a flat bar and the potential for a bag or bags. Most importantly I want something different with a sub 2k budget. Without meaning to sound pompous im pretty bored with the general hybrid offerings. I used to commute all year round but now I avoid ice & snow and the dark winter nights. But I like to go for a ride just for the pleasure of being on a bike and enjoying the scenery.

So what do you think folks ?

That you've got a bloody big budget for a general commuter.

vickster

Legendary Member
Whyte Stirling :okay:
Or look for a used carbon Montpellier
Either should be half your budget so you can get a brompton too :laugh:

Maybe get condor to build you something lush (might be able to for 2k)

what sort of thing or even colour do you want?

Find a frameset and get it built up?

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For that money, you could look at buying a frameset and then building a bike up out of other components of your choosing. Possibly something like a Planet X Tempest Ti framest if you want rack & mudguard fittings.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I always fancied getting a Rohloff hub geared bike, especially for trouble-free commuting. Is that different enough? Might struggle to get one under 2K though.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Just been looking at the Pashley Briton and Roadsters which are rather lovely. Also the Gazelle Van Stael and Tour Populair which are also lovely looking. And then this (see link below) which is edging into normal but it looks a lot of bike for the money

Canyon 3.0

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
I always fancied getting a Rohloff hub geared bike, especially for trouble-free commuting. Is that different enough? Might struggle to get one under 2K though.
Its not so much the gearing I dont mind getting my hands dirty with a derailleur. But its more about what it looks like. Like the car you always look back at as your walking away.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Whyte Stirling :okay:
Or look for a used carbon Montpellier
Either should be half your budget so you can get a brompton too :laugh:

Maybe get condor to build you something lush (might be able to for 2k)

what sort of thing or even colour do you want?

Find a frameset and get it built up?
I do love the Brompton still and it would do all I want of it but I dont need a folder.

£1800 gets you a Vanmoof or, if you don't fancy Dutch belt-drive esoterica, how about a Canyon Commuter Sport for about the same money?

You're unlikely to meet another one on any given ride, so it's definitely different!

1588027436394.png

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
£1800 gets you a Vanmoof or, if you don't fancy Dutch belt-drive esoterica, how about a Canyon Commuter Sport for about the same money?

You're unlikely to meet another one on any given ride, so it's definitely different!

View attachment 518469
Wow the Van Moof is stunning its old skool but modern. Excellent shout :notworthy:

The Canyon is lovely too and except for that lovely headstock is veering towards dare I say it normal. 😬

Top Bottom