Something inside the rear wheel hub I can’t find the name for online.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Imasra

I have a weird ring with bend inwards teeth on it inside my wheel. as seen in the pictures it can move freely but can’t be removed. what is this cause I think the bearing go below it. This is from a wheel that when I opened it it had only two bearing balls in it that’s all I took out of it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

C R

Guru
I have a weird ring with bend inwards teeth on it inside my wheel. as seen in the pictures it can move freely but can’t be removed. what is this cause I think the bearing go below it. This is from a wheel that when I opened it it had only two bearing balls in it that’s all I took out of it
It looks like a bearing cage, as in this image, but without the bearings
?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fi%2F291018263760-0-1%2Fs-l1000.jpg

OP
OP
Imasra

Imasra

I
That would be what I would do, but it would be good to find out where the balls went to, and how they came to disappear. Could you take a photo more depth of field, so that more of the cup is in focus? You need a proper cleanup of that cup and see what else may be wrong.
will do that ones I’m home

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That looks like a freewheel, so will need to be removed before a new bearing cage can be installed. Alternatively you can fit loose balls which IMO is better because the load is shared across more bearings.

All this is probably academic however as if the original balls have broken up enough to hide in the nooks and crannies inside the hub then the bearing race is certainly fubar'd and you will need a new hub/wheel.

You need to get that freewheel off and give the hub a good clean and proper inspection to establish its condition.

OP
OP
Imasra

Imasra

That looks like a freewheel, so will need to be removed before a new bearing cage can be installed. Alternatively you can fit loose balls which IMO is better because the load is shared across more bearings.

All this is probably academic however as if the original balls have broken up enough to hide in the nooks and crannies inside the hub then the bearing race is certainly fubar'd and you will need a new hub/wheel.

You need to get that freewheel off and give the hub a good clean and proper inspection to establish its condition.
Any suggestions on how to clean it easy should I just wd40 with a toothbrush or?

I'd get the thick off with paper kitchen roll then the rest with liquid in a dish and with a brush. Something like gunk or paraffin or white spirit. WD40 would do as if I remember correctly it's mainly white spirit anyway. Use clean liquid as a final wash, then dry off. Bearings hate dirt.

Reactions: C R

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Pull out the bearing cage (that claw/octopus type thing). It will bend pretty easily and fit out through the freewheel. You can then clean with rag, wd40, toothbrush or whatever.

But like I said, you need to get the freewheel taken off to really inspect the bearing condition. If it is really bad you might be able to see with the freewheel in place once the gunk has been cleaned away.

rrarider

Veteran
I'd get the thick off with paper kitchen roll then the rest with liquid in a dish and with a brush. Something like gunk or paraffin or white spirit. WD40 would do as if I remember correctly it's mainly white spirit anyway. Use clean liquid as a final wash, then dry off. Bearings hate dirt.

WD40 is not mainly white spirit, it will leave a sticky mess when it dries. There are so many magical and mythical properties attributed to the stuff as a lubricant or penetrating fluid it's hard to believe. I remember using it in the early '80s for helping to keep the moisture out of my distributor and and plug leads on a Mini, it was good at that and stopping squeaky hinges on a garden gate and not much else.

So many delicate objects requiring lubrication have been ruined by dust sticking to the sticky gunge left by WD40 and movement then impeded. If you want a penetrating fluid, use Plus Gas. If you want to clean the gunk from your bearings use paraffin or petrol.

Top Bottom