Something is rotten in Denmark

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Well, it will be in May, because a very good chum (from Deutschland) has invited me to tour Denmark with him, so I’m dusting off my touring gear and heading out there on an Anglo/German invasion of the home of Danish bacon.
Anyone remotely interested in a fat git training for the tour, setting off on the tour, riding the tour and learning a bit of Danish language to boot have frankly hit the jackpot with this thread.

Hej hej

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Kit list:

Rider - barring industrial accident, death or kidnapping, check
Bike - Dawes Karakum, rode it on the German tour a few years ago. Might modify the butterfly bars to flats with ergonomic grips. Otherwise check.
Shelter- have a number of tents. All old and have seen better days. Might splash the folding on something…..
Cooking- trangia and/or MSR Whisperlite ready to go. Got most things for cooking, but new pans might be on the horizon.
Pedals/ shoes - going to test spd/flats/shoes/sandals and use what I get on best with.
Clothes/washing etc. experience has taught me to pack light, however I am a gentleman of style and will be sporting Hawaii shirts ( the louder the better, and mainly cargo shorts, cycling shorts, t shirts and Vietnam era boonie hats.

My phone can be my camera, I just need to organise charging requirements. Solar/dynamo/battery etc

Everything else is superfluous piffle and will be taken with me or left behind on a weight/space/do I really need it basis.

Stay tuned.

Hej hej

Might be some good second hand lightweight tents around now the festival season is getting to an end

I know some charities collect some of them - wonder if they sell them or use them all for refugees??

I am a gentleman of style and will be sporting Hawaii shirts ( the louder the better, and mainly cargo shorts, cycling shorts, t shirts and Vietnam era boonie hats.

I would suggest to the gentleman OP that loud Hawaiian-styled shirts paired with cargo shorts and the descriptor 'style' is a contradiction in terms. In fact, cargo shorts with anything is contradictory to 'style' unless preceded by 'bad'!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Saw a video on the news from (I Think) one in Leeds and most were the cheap pop-up ones you would expect
but some did seem to be decent ones!

some people have too much money!

The cost of tents is a fraction of the festival cost these days

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Not much to add except enjoy!

If a tent upgrade happens can recommend Alpkit Soloist, based on my own experience of it and dependant on budget but it's a great lightweight tent for the money.
I've also just replaced my (grandads) Trangia original pans for non stick ones. Only used them at home to test but a marked improvement over the originals

Last edited:
OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
How can I help. I have lived in Denmark for 20 years. Whatever you need to know about cycling here I can help you.

Thank you Steve for the offer of information. As it’s not my planned tour, I’m invited onto it, the only details that I have are that we meet and begin the tour in Flensburg. We will ride north through Denmark following the Baltic coast to Skagen, then back down south to Flensburg following the North Sea coast. We have 4 weeks to do this tour. Everything else is a total mystery to me.

Hej hej

dimrub

I would suggest to the gentleman OP that loud Hawaiian-styled shirts paired with cargo shorts and the descriptor 'style' is a contradiction in terms. In fact, cargo shorts with anything is contradictory to 'style' unless preceded by 'bad'!!

Style, as beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes it's literally there, as in, poking you in the eye.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
People take good tents to festivals?! 😲
Yes.

Some friends of mine work as litter pickers at festivals. This means they can sometimes get the pick of left behind items. They have got all kinds of stuff, but I don't think they are short of tents.

One thing they got was a brand new baby buggy/pram thing. Must have cost a few bob. They used it for a while for wheeling round their decrepit dog.

Anyone remotely interested in a fat git training for the tour, setting off on the tour, riding the tour and learning a bit of Danish language to boot have frankly hit the jackpot with this thread.
My appetite is whetted, even if you used the dreaded "T" word.

I would suggest to the gentleman OP that loud Hawaiian-styled shirts paired with cargo shorts and the descriptor 'style' is a contradiction in terms.
Don't listen to the fuddy duddies ^_^ Cargo shorts are very practical and Hawaiian shirts project a fun lovin' attitude that the northeners will soak up.
we meet and begin the tour in Flensburg
There's a great little brewery in Flensburg!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flensburger_Brauerei

Looking forward to following your adventure (misadventure?).

Top Bottom