Something new and missing the obvious

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

For the first time I've been working on a bottom Bracket of the outboard bearing variety, I've done lots of square taper over the years but this is the first outboard one, I changed the bottom Bracket about twelve months ago as the bearings were rough, and a couple of weeks ago it got noisy with lots of free play, I replaced it again but found the crank wouldn't nip up properly, further investigation revealed the crank bolt had pulled through and wasn't tightening on the crank, nothing I could do with it, too much damage, I've just got the replacement and the first thing I notice is its got a washer on the crank bolt, something thats missing on the old one, so I'm now wondering, was it missing from the start? Did I loose it? Did the LBS not fit it when they were working on the bike? Why did I not realize it was missing when I was working on the bike and why didn't I realize there should have been one there from the start, looks like an expensive error somewhere down the line.

gbb

Legendary Member
One thing, particually with FSA BBs, perhaps others, is the preload bolt being incorrectly used to actually tighten the cranks onto the axle, instead of the pinch bolts.
Forgive me if you already know. That would ruin a BB PDQ.

Which BB is it exactly Dave?

Only asking as not all 'outboard' BB's are created equal.

From the description of the washer I'd guess it's BB30, and if it is then in the words of Dragons Den I'm out, but more detail will probably help others to assist.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Top Bottom