Something of a suprise!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill

Last week I visited Birmingham with my wife. We don't go there much now as it's somewhat gone to seed! While there I visited Evans cycle store. There were a number of Brompton on display for sale. I had a good look at them and dispite the price they looked good. What suprised me was the weight on picking one up! To hear some people on this forum talk I thought them to be quite light, but they feel weight-wise like my Dahon Vitesse...somewhat heavy....never mind...different minds...different choices...

Drago

Legendary Member
Clearly he wasn't looking at the helium filled sports models.

reppans

Optical illusion - the fold is so small you expect it to be lighter. Nope, it's just a dense lump.

Anyways, all bikes weigh the same (or more) - 17lb bike needs a 10lb lock/chain and is still is not as secure as a Brompton brought inside with you. :whistle:

chriscross1966

Über Member
The house demonstrators are all fitted with telescopic seatposts.... those things are boat anchors and best replaced with a cheap aftermarket carbon or titanium one. You'll save about a kilo, and a real Brompton tele sells secondhand but nearly new for more than you'll pay for the far-Eastern posts.

12boy

Guru
I carry mine only short distances and otherwise roll it unfolded. When I do carry it I hook the saddle horn over my right shoulder and stabilize it with my right hand, usually on the curved brace piece that goes into the frame and bottom bracket. This keeps it close to my center of gravity and makes it easy to go through narrow spots. I have been running this as a one speed and it has a leather saddle , ergo grips and stubby bar ends and dual SPDs. Doesn't seem too heavy to me and it accelerates fairly well too. Any problems with making it go seem to me a result of the weak and wheezy motor or perhaps air drag from the Dunlop on my waist, as in "my belly is so fat it Dunlop over my belt".

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
Last week I visited Birmingham with my wife. ... What suprised me was the weight on picking one up! To hear some people on this forum talk I thought them to be quite light, ...

Can "Easily" mod into sub 7Kg bromptons... if the wallet can support ...:laugh:

13096228_1400322229984638_7883218141061607686_n.jpg

dfthe1

Last week I visited Birmingham with my wife. We don't go there much now as it's somewhat gone to seed! While there I visited Evans cycle store. There were a number of Brompton on display for sale.

Did you see the Bromptons for hire just round the corner on New Street? I work in Brum and have never tried a Brompton but haven't got round to having a go yet.

simongt

Guru
Agree with the posts that suggest only fully fold your Brommy when you actually need to carry / store it. Hurling it part folded is a lot easier. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom