something you should all know

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aqaleigh

This may be something a lot of people know already but if not its well worth knowing

you can register your cycle at www.immobilise.com its a free service used by all police forces in the country to track owners of recovered bikes

you register your cycle, serial number, make and model and of course its always worth keeping a copy of these with a photo of your bike at home aswell

ITS FREE - SO WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE

thomas

the tank engine
I put mine on it because I'm at UNI. Hopefully won't need to use it. My bike has UV marks on it in like 10 places and I've written the serial down too.

LondonCommuter

But does anyone have idea if its any use? Has anyone had a stolen bike recovered because its registered. I have actually registered one of my bikes with this site and will get round to registering my others if I ever find the time, but I've yet to see any evidence that its actually worth getting round to it ...

Cubist

Still wavin'
Downward said:
Bum I have no idea what my Serial number is or where it is !

Most serial numbers are stamped into the bottom bracket. Turn your bike upside down and have a look. make a note of it, post it on immobilise.com

If your bike is stolen, the serial number will be recorded there so at the very least you will be able to give it to the police.

Police stores are usually full to bursting with found bikes. Every month or so ours send about 20 to auction (the ones that are any good) and twice that to the scrap yard. (I'm currently working on a way to donate the scrappers to a charity project) The property clerks check all the serial numbers and match them with lost or stolen reports. About one in twenty lost or stolen reports have a serial number recorded. The other nineteen are unlikely to be matched up with their owners simply because the owner didn't think to jot the numbers down, or had dumped their old bike and reported it as lost or stolen in order to scam the insurers............

surfgurl

Some Police forces don't check the bikes for numbers.
My husband found a bike against the wall across the road from our house. We live in the town centre. He had noticed it there in the morning and it was still there in the evening. It wasn't locked. He brought it into the house for safekeeping overnight, otherwise the drunken people on their way home would have wandered off with it. He left a note where it was parked giving his phone number and explaining what he had done.
He took it down to the Police station the following day. The girl on the counter filled out the form and recorded it as a yellow bicycle. She didn't check for serial numbers or uv markings. She said they had no room to store it, could he take it home and if anyone reported it missing the Police would contact him to return it. If not after six weeks he could keep it.
We've still got it.

Downward

Guru
Cubist said:
Most serial numbers are stamped into the bottom bracket. Turn your bike upside down and have a look. make a note of it, post it on immobilise.com

If your bike is stolen, the serial number will be recorded there so at the very least you will be able to give it to the police.

Police stores are usually full to bursting with found bikes. Every month or so ours send about 20 to auction (the ones that are any good) and twice that to the scrap yard. (I'm currently working on a way to donate the scrappers to a charity project) The property clerks check all the serial numbers and match them with lost or stolen reports. About one in twenty lost or stolen reports have a serial number recorded. The other nineteen are unlikely to be matched up with their owners simply because the owner didn't think to jot the numbers down, or had dumped their old bike and reported it as lost or stolen in order to scam the insurers............

Thanks
I have not seen my bike for over a week now so I hope it's still where I left it. Damn won't see it till monday.
Might get a lift to work and ride it back home.

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

LondonCommuter said:
But does anyone have idea if its any use? Has anyone had a stolen bike recovered because its registered. I have actually registered one of my bikes with this site and will get round to registering my others if I ever find the time, but I've yet to see any evidence that its actually worth getting round to it ...

what have you got to lose

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

hackbike 666 said:
Live every day like its your last - one day it will be

No.B)

YEAH - and you wouldn't believe how many people waste their lives sucking up to people - doing boring jobs - complaining - at work missing their children growing up - and bouncing of the walls at rampton when its all too late

LondonCommuter

aqaleigh said:
what have you got to lose

Well I have now got round to registering my other bikes, so I suppose the answer for me is nothing, just a little bit of time.

But they do try and sell you the electronic tag thing as well and I would be interested if there is any evidence that its worth the money

Top Bottom