Sometimes, its good NOT to lose your rag !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
So, riding tonight from work, nice straight stretch of urban road with a green cycle lane either side.
Plenty of traffic, nose to tail, going much slower than i am :smile:
I'm effectively undertaking everyone, but quite right in doing so. Ha, not so thought the cretin in a bright yellow BMW, who saw me coming, and put his car right into the cycle lane to block my way.

No problem......i just went round him on the offside, smiled as i went past and said 'i dont know why you bothered mate' :ohmy::thumbsup:

I just hope he seethed, sat in his car, looking like a pratt to all the other motorists around him.....but hopes a terrible thing, it rarely comes true :biggrin::biggrin:

frog

Just love it when that happens :ohmy: A clear demonstration just how petty minded some can be. Of course, in pulling in they have also driven forward as well so can't straighten up the car until the traffic moves off again. I wonder how many cyclists were following and took the outside route around him.

Recent road works on my commute have given me the opportunity to overtake the stationary queue and almost every day someone in the queue tries to drive with their wheel over the centre line - giving me the chance to slip inside, pull out, and continue on my merry way. You don't need to say anything to them, they'll doing all to themselves :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's good isn't it....

I've really enjoyed dumping the car for a job nearer home so I can bike it. The car doesn't move all week, What's the point having a super £50k high performance car in traffic...... I'll save my frills for my road bike, otherwise the commuted up heavy gas pipe mtb for the week days. Despite it being a tank, I like riding it, it helps in riding technique (pedaling) and I go like stink at weekends on the roadie.

Get fat, sit in traffic in a flashy yellow car ? Cycle lanes should be banned- I have to white line it mostly as the cycle lane is full of cars ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh forgot to mention, having the mtb tank (car masher) on the go has slowed me down through traffic.... had I been riding one of the road bikes, I'd be the devil... full speed loonie...... do like the tank for the calming effect..... plus any POB's get wasted when they RLJ and pavement jump when I come past...... the devil me...... oh yes !

Ah yes, a classic move - this happens to me constantly when filtering on my motorbike, though to the right naturally!

It is baffling why cagers do it, and they are cagers - drivers generally either don't change their road positioning at all (and why should they?) and others are polite and move in slightly. I try to thank considerate drivers like that, whether I am on my bicycle or my motorbike, as their little movement makes my life easier.

A little consideration goes a long way in making things better all round, especially if you are a regular commuter. Drivers tened to recognise you after a while, and a smile and wave/nod of thanks can see them put themselves out for you.

A prime example of this came from a guy I used to see nearly every day - he drives a black Aston Martin DB9 with graphite wheels. I had left it too late to pull out safely one day, when approaching a line of parked cars and he slowed and flashed to let me into the outside lane ahead of him. I obviously thanked him, and when I he passed me later in the journey I was in a good mood and waved. I waved at him every time I saw him since then, and always got one back. Sometimes when he passed me he would give a little toot to let me know it was him. He used to do things (if the situation permitted) like hang back behind me along Embankment on the run into Blackfriars - I can do 27-30mph down there, but it is still the most agressive part of my commute, him sitting behind me could make a big difference indeed. Sadly though he must have changed roles because about a month before I left my internship and stopped commuting in London, he was no longer on my route :smile:

There were a couple of other drivers I saw regularly especially the driver of the bus that I always surfed outside Clapham Junction, it was a good feeling to make a connection like that, and all it took was the odd wave and smile.

How ironic.I had a car driver come out of a turning tonight (I must have been less than a mile from home)...he sees me and doesn't bother stopping.I had a real suspicion what he was going to do next and he didn't disappoint me as he pulled in straight in front of me (and stopped).He realized his mistake and panicked but as I already anticipated his mistake I made it look worse than what it was.I was so wound up from work.Im happy now I didn't say anything but just gave him a look while he was pooping it and went on my merry way.

I thought to myself at the time if you are going to back it up then have a go at him.I wasn't really prepared to do this so I said nothing.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I had a bus driver pull out on me, but he saw me at the last moment and stopped. Funnily enough he waved me an apology, I waved back no worries, and we went on our ways happy and friendly enough for another toot and wave a mile or two later. I was on the fixed, btw, I bet he would have seen me much earlier if I'd been on the bent.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
A prime example of this came from a guy I used to see nearly every day - he drives a black Aston Martin DB9 with graphite wheels.

Won't they wear out really quickly, leaving a grey line on the road? Does he have to carry a great big pencil sharpener?

On a plus note, I saw a car pull out to allow a girl to filter through yesterday (although I wouldn't have squeezed down the side like she did, or been carrying a carrier bag over the handlebars). It might have been an act of paintwork preservation rather than helpfulness...

Oh yes.

Badly cut up by inattentive driver in big silver estate on the way to work one day. Resisted the temptation to bang on the roof or snap a mirror off. Ten minutes later I saw the car in the car park at work. She's the director of a sister organisation. Might have been tense in subsequent meetings...

BentMikey said:
I had a bus driver pull out on me, but he saw me at the last moment and stopped. Funnily enough he waved me an apology, I waved back no worries, and we went on our ways happy and friendly enough for another toot and wave a mile or two later. I was on the fixed, btw, I bet he would have seen me much earlier if I'd been on the bent.

I love happy endings.:smile:

Sometimes losing your rag has the opposite effect.:ohmy:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Won't they wear out really quickly, leaving a grey line on the road? Does he have to carry a great big pencil sharpener?

On a plus note, I saw a car pull out to allow a girl to filter through yesterday (although I wouldn't have squeezed down the side like she did, or been carrying a carrier bag over the handlebars). It might have been an act of paintwork preservation rather than helpfulness...

Same here funnily enough Arch....in that mile long queue of traffic, a good number of motorists made the effort to give me a bit more room...a slight turn of their wheels toward the centre of the road. Nice to remember they're not all morons :smile:

nilling

Über Member
If I have a cager wondering into cycling lane I do my 'oohhh I'm wobbling and i might just hit your car' - they tend to straighten up...

Recently got caught up in traffic, behind a bus when a Porsche driver pushed his way in from a side road. When traffic set off I did my 'wobble' and needless to say he held back till i moved over ;)

Top Bottom