SON 28 dynamo driving Luxos U and TWO rear lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
Hi all. Posting this because I couldn't find any info about whether it was possible, but I've done it and it works fine. You never know it might be of use to someone.

Lights:

Front = B&M Luxos U
Rear 1 (under seat) = B&M Topline Brake Plus
Rear 2 (mudguard) = B&M Secula

First, I wanted to be able to remove my rack without changing my lighting, so I moved the Topline from the rack to the back of my Brooks saddle. I couldn't find a bracket so I repurposed two blanking plates left over from old PCs. Fits perfectly on the saddle rails and the angle is just right. Nice and high too.

The Secula fits to my mudguards replacing the reflector.

Wiring was easy : Luxos - > Topline - > Secula. Making sure to keep polarities consistent : the Topline doesn't work unless it's + to +. I soldered the wires to the 2.8mm connectors rather than just crimp and used 2 layers of heatshrink to give some weatherproofing.

The Luxos draws 400mA I think (2.4W @ 6v), while the Topline is 10mA and the Secula is 70mA. Not sure how reliable those figures are : the Topline seems low and the Secula seems high. The SON28 will I understand comfortably put out 500mA at anything above around 8mph - you can tell when it's below power because the front light flickers (though the rears stay full).

Anyway all is working well including the Brake function on the Toplight. Will post back if something goes wrong. If it's useful let me know and I'll put up pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi all. Posting this because I couldn't find any info about whether it was possible, but I've done it and it works fine. You never know it might be of use to someone.

Lights:

Front = B&M Luxos U
Rear 1 (under seat) = B&M Topline Brake Plus
Rear 2 (mudguard) = B&M Secula

First, I wanted to be able to remove my rack without changing my lighting, so I moved the Topline from the rack to the back of my Brooks saddle. I couldn't find a bracket so I repurposed two blanking plates left over from old PCs. Fits perfectly on the saddle rails and the angle is just right. Nice and high too.

The Secula fits to my mudguards replacing the reflector.

Wiring was easy : Luxos - > Topline - > Secula. Making sure to keep polarities consistent : the Topline doesn't work unless it's + to +. I soldered the wires to the 2.8mm connectors rather than just crimp and used 2 layers of heatshrink to give some weatherproofing.

The Luxos draws 400mA I think (2.4W @ 6v), while the Topline is 10mA and the Secula is 70mA. Not sure how reliable those figures are : the Topline seems low and the Secula seems high.

Anyway all is working well including the Brake function on the Toplight. Will post back if something goes wrong. If it's useful let me know and I'll put up pics.

Good to know .... haven't hooked a rear-light up yet ..... might try this.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Good luck. Both the Topline Brake Plus and the Secula use 2.8mm spades and they are provided with the lights. I have spares and can pop some in the post if you need them along with some red and black heatshrink.

Top Bottom