Songs with special meaning, what and why

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Chicago - If you leave me now.

Seemed to be played all the time when I was with a girl who dumped my (at the time) best friend, for me.

Dates are a minefield for me unless I can make some (sometimes odd) associations.
Pink Floyd - Another brick in the wall.
The tune which triggers the year I was married. Christmas hit 79/80, we moved in together a year later and got married a year after that.

tony111

Veteran
Recently celebrated our ruby wedding anniversary and the No. 1 at the time was "You're the one that I want". I bought my soon to be wife the single and wrote "You're the one one that I want........on the day that I got you". My mate dropped it off at her parents house on the morning of our wedding.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Seriously though, just about every song I have heard triggers a memory or point in time of some sort - maybe because I was a DJ

This may explain why I am so good at "guess the year" on radio shows

I can usually pinpoint the correct year using memories associated with that particular song, in much the same way as a bloke uses pubs to explain directions :laugh:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Run by Snow Patrol has me in tears every time.

My wife had just come out of a major operation and took a bad reaction to the anaesthetic. Her oxygen levels were crashing, her heart would falter and stutter and only injections (adrenaline?) would bring her back, albeit with lower oxygen levels each time. A Priest was called but I told him to sling his hook and held onto my wife's hand, constantly talking to her and not letting her go. The lines "Light up, light up, as if you had a choice. Even if you cannot hear my voice, I'll be right beside you dear" mean so much to me.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
My wife and I were living together for several years before we married, but as tradition dictates that you don't see each other immediately beforehand I stayed with my best man while my soon to be wife and some of our friends stayed at our house, I had one of our friends put this song on for her that morning;

View: https://youtu.be/hwUKR_9Xdns

"Footprints on the Dashboard upside down"

Somewhere in Texas, can't remember the place, my then GF and I met a guy and a gal and went for a drink with them in a local bar; afterwards in the motel room where they lived the guy started strumming his guitar and singing this song that he had written in 'Nam about an automotive escapade with the gal. The title is the only line I can remember but I often sing it fondly to myself.

ETA: Hmm, just googled it and the guy was either Joe Mondo or a bally liar, another fond memory turned to ash and dust.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QHr8JX-G38

Last edited:

slowwww

Veteran
Redemption Song by Bob Marley brings back wonderful memories of being in a hot-tub on the beach on honeymoon in the Caribbean, getting utterly hammered on cocktails with my wife.

God knows how many times I got the band to play it, but I do vaguely recall the hotel manager politely, and rather amusedly suggesting at some point that perhaps the band might be allowed to choose which songs to play.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Horse with no name by America. i was camping up in the Chilton Hills with the Boys Brigade at the time it came out, I was 15 at the time and it just struck a chord. I remember that time vividly and with great fondness every time I hear it.

perplexed

Guru
Blimy, so many songs to choose from for so many reasons.

I guess the one which sprang to mind when I read the thread title (although strictly speaking an instrumental) is 'Green Onions' by Booker T. and the MGs.

My wife and I consider it to be 'our' song.

Soltydog

Legendary Member

View: https://youtu.be/vVGbE2vWiK4

This came on Radio One as I was getting ready to get married to Mrs DRM, I literally had my finger on the off switch, ready to go, the opening bars caught my attention & in all honesty some of the lyrics were quite apt.

Think that must be the first live performance I've seen of his, not a great entertainer, but seems to have a great stage presence (give me goosebumps :blush:) , I'll be keeping an eye out for any UK tours :okay:

Top Bottom