Sony A300 DSLR camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Not sure if this is the correct section to post regarding cameras?

I’ve been considering a DSLR camera to take in my bar bag on tour, all the popular options seem fit OK including the Sony, which is one of the larger DSLR models in the entry to mid price ranges. Of those short listed I quite like the look of the Sony A300, a camera it seems is unique camera to Jessops, essentially their A200 but with live view.

As it is for touring I didn’t want to go OTT price wise as I didn’t want to be too precious with it, the Sony seems good value, get reasonable reviews and at £350.00 I would not feel quite as anxious about carrying something nearer £500.00 in a bar bag as I whizz down bumpy country lanes.

I was wondering if any had this camera and what they thought about it? I also liked the Canon 450d, but it seems quite a lot extra for features that I probably wouldn’t need/use, plus in some respects the £150.00 cheaper Sony has features that I would, such as the adjustable live view screen for example.

ASONYCM205133092_001.jpg

As you can see from the tours linked to below I do enjoy taking pictures, more of a see a view take a pic' kind of chap than someone who will spend hours composing a shot.In many ways I could get away with one of the new smaller cameras, but I loved my old SLR and wanted a new camera along the same lines, purely as I want and apposed to need one!

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
if it was me i would go for the canon 450D but im a bit of a canon guy ;)

but i hear that the sony if a good SLR, try both and see what you think

Rob S

You should always consult DPReview.com for reviews of cameras.....that said they don't review the A300 but they do review the A350 (exactly the same camera but 14MP and slower burst shooting)

The product announcement is here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08013004sonyalpha300350.asp

The A350 review is here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra350/

The A200 review (which was announced a few weeks earlier than the 300/350 and lacks Live View and tiltable LCD) is here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra200/

Firstly Paul, you underestimate your abilities with a camera - after a quick look through those links, I'd say you were pretty handy with a camera. There are some very pleasing shots and you have a good eye for composition and capturing the 'moment'. For those reasons I say go with a DSLR and not a compact. I don't know about the Sony - I bought an Olympus instead and I love the live screen you can pivot around to your liking. It's very useful for composing shots near to ground level. Good luck.

OP
OP
Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Crackle said:
This fella does a good review, inc a video review which is very useful

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_DSLR_A300/index.shtml

And of course dpreview, though this is for the 350.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra350/

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Sony range. My one piece of advice is check how much accessories and lenses are in comparison to rivals. Also do you have lenses now? THe latter was the deciding factor in sticking with Pentax for me.
Thanks for all the help, those two sites were really helpful, camera labs especially have a very imformative video section.

After much deliberation I bought it, a Canon 500d, although not a replacement for the Canon EOS 450D (which at the time I couldn't get anywhere) it does fit just above it in the range.
Well infact as I had saved for so long I bought two, one for my girl friend as well, so that we could spend time taking a few pictures together. That inclused taking her for a night out at Crystal Palace; met her in the Pub near where she works and we both took 400 pics each!
In reality I didn’t buy it for taking cycle racing pictures, more as a general camera for a wider variety, but I was there to give some of the 'team' a cheer and it was a great night out.
3604202405_08c97f2476_o.jpg

I sold the night out as "you fancy a drink after work...."
3604202523_707bfc2fd8_o.jpg

Chris Ansell, got away in a group of two but got caught on last lap to finish 8th
3605121312_3a7b9e7f0e_o.jpg

Corrine Hall
3604202601_a487c7fb7f_o.jpg

Tom Bradbury, first race at the Palace for 6 years, just ahead of Team mate Corrine Hall
3605018060_24b3355f85_o.jpg

Tom Bradbury, just after first race at the Palace for 6 years!
Plus some others, not from the Palace:
3611335456_7d07251c6a_o.jpg

3611335458_47173cee4b_o.jpg

3611335462_83f9532c18_o.jpg

3611335468_30a00caebe_o.jpg

So far I am really pleased with it, on another note I was also pleased that Crystal Palace was so well supported, I had not been there since I stopped racing myself and I had forgotten what a great nights racing it is, so good that my girlfriend enjoyed the racing as much as she enjoyed taking the pictures; well worth a visit.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Top Bottom