Sora - difficulty shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
Hi,

I just got a new boxed Felt F95 with Sora groupset. I thought I'd set it up right in terms of positioning but was having problems shifting with the front derailleur, particularly from big to small chainring - so took it to a LBS just to make sure I'd got them set up right (£25 for him to spend a few minutes on this :sad: ). [on a seperate note his first hard pull of the brake lever pulled the cable out of the caliper so £25 was much better than going into the back of a bus!] I'm now reassured that the gears are set up fine and he did demonstrate everything shifting fine but now I'm back on the bike I'm still having trouble. Sometimes it's fine and other times in order to shift down I've got to shift up a bit more then shift down - sometimes having to do this a couple of times before a 'double click' is heard and I'm on the small chainring. I know that Sora aren't as smooth as the better groupsets but what I'm wondering is if this bad shifting comes down to technique (until recently been using a sturmey archer 3-speed and a vintage racer with down-tubes).

Previously I've had a hybrid with Tiagra but this was trigger shifters rather than the STI and I vaguely remember a similar issue with it not being a simple case of shifting up and down and while I've heard of a 'trim' function I don't really understand how/if I'm doing this - or even if I have it.

Any advice and a simple explanation would be fantastic - or pointed in the right direction to a good how-to guide/video.

Matt

Drago

Legendary Member
If you don't mind me asking, how much did your F95 cost you?

And Sora front shifters are clunky old boots, and do indeed have a 'trim' function for both chain rings, just enough to clear the chain rub but not enough to swap cogs. Got them on my commuter. They're ok, you'll soon learn the knack of a clean shift with them.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
Thanks - it was £365 from Merlin cycles. I was in two minds between that and z85 with 105 but my rationale was I use every day all year round and I thought when it comes to replacing parts I'll upgrade eventually. Also there were so many really positive reviews of the f95. Very pleased so far although my bb started making a noise on the way home :-(

Top Bottom