Sora Mech capacity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tel

Veteran
Will a Shimano Sora short cage mech cope with a 32t sprocket with a 36t or 38t chainwheel?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
No. You'll need a MTB mech to cope with a 32T sprocket at the back. Road mechs won't really go above a 28T.

Bigtwin

I have a long cage road mech that does that range. Don't know if you can get them in Sora though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
fwiw I've got a Sora mashup from new. Deore 531 MTB rear mech. 26/36/48 Truativ rings up front on Shimano Deore cranks and a 11-32 9 speed cassette. All works fine with the Sora shifters and Sora front mech.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
GrumpyGreg said:
fwiw I've got a Sora mashup from new. Deore 531 MTB rear mech. 26/36/48 Truativ rings up front on Shimano Deore cranks and a 11-32 9 speed cassette. All works fine with the Sora shifters and Sora front mech.

Perhaps I'll just give it a go and see, its for the missus commuter and the chances of her using a 36x32 combo are pretty slim anyway. Cheers guys.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Ok, Ok I won't even try it I read Grumpy's post and saw Sora...I'll get an mtb mech ;)

...will a long cage road mech work too?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
^^^^
can't think why not, I actually think the Deore mech is a bit over long /over capacity for my cassette

Bigtwin

Bigtwin said:
I have a long cage road mech that does that range. Don't know if you can get them in Sora though.

Tel said:
Ok, Ok I won't even try it I read Grumpy's post and saw Sora...I'll get an mtb mech ;)

...will a long cage road mech work too?

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Bigtwin said:

Ooops sorry Bigtwin missed that ;)

How about replacing the 32t sprocket rather than buying a new mech to handle it? The next one down is a 26t which the sora mech can handle and perhaps I could get one in the middle somewhere to narrow the ratios. Is this possible? I have my doubts as the cassette doesn't seem dismantle-able.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Anyway, I managed to locate the very small hex head screw on the largest cog and hey presto the cassette came apart so it looks as though I could add a sprocket (i.e 23t) and lose the 32t, if only I could source Sram spare sockets...

Top Bottom