Sora set up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ok i am new to STI levers and the 2nd hand bike had no manual.I have looked at the shimano site and that does not tell me anything i did not know.

The questions i have are..

1 . What dos the barrel adjuster that is around the cable coming out of the sti lever do? does it actually adjust anything ?

2 What does the screw at the front do? i managed to find the reach adjuster but i have no idea what this does.

3. can you adjust the tension on the shifters so the click is more pronounced?

I am a complete newb to these shifters as the last time i had a raody they were still using suicide shifters and in the mean time got sued to twist shifters :smile:

Hi. Hope I'm answering this all properly. Think so, but anyone please chip in if there's other useful info.

1 . What dos the barrel adjuster that is around the cable coming out of the sti lever do? does it actually adjust anything?
This barrel adjuster is like using the adjuster down at the rear derailleur mech, and it can be rotated to take up more cable pull if the up-shifts aren't quite getting there enough / or vice-versa.

2 What does the screw at the front do? i managed to find the reach adjuster but i have no idea what this does.
That screw at the front holds it all together - just leave it well alone - kind of forgetaboutit. (Only exception is if the plastic front cap is so damaged that it needs replacing, that sort of thing).

3. can you adjust the tension on the shifters so the click is more pronounced? Not as far as I know.

Good luck.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
cyberknight said:

1 . What dos the barrel adjuster that is around the cable coming out of the sti lever do? does it actually adjust anything ?
Yes - they apply more or less tension to the cable.

Your shifters change gear by pulling cable (increasing tension) to move to larger cogs, and by releasing that tension (to move to smaller cogs).

Not sure - can you post a picture?
No.
I am a complete newb to these shifters as the last time i had a raody they were still using suicide shifters and in the mean time got sued to twist shifters ;)
The way they work is similar - they all apply more or less tension to move your derailleurs.

Have a look on the Shimano site in the Technical Docs section, the setup instructions are really quite good.

gbb

Legendary Member
cyberknight said:
Ok i am new to STI levers and the 2nd hand bike had no manual.I have looked at the shimano site and that does not tell me anything i did not know.

I am a complete newb to these shifters as the last time i had a raody they were still using suicide shifters and in the mean time got sued to twist shifters :biggrin:

1...I may be wrong, but is it a barrel adjuster or just a ferrule to support the cable outer ? I thought my 8 speed Sora shifters just has a ferrule, not an adjuster. The first adjuster is mounted on the downtube. I may have to check in the morning, i'm just working off memory right now.

2...Dont worry about that screw. It's just part of the assembly...not for adjustment.

3...No. You only need to set up the cable tension at the back derailleur correctly (there are tutorials available on youtube...very good too)

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I had a look at the shimano site 1st and the tech specs have an exploded view for parts ordering and an operation manual but neither show the adjuster/support that comes out of the shifter .

I know how to adjust the set up as normal on the derailleur.

Thanks for all the reply's !!

Just a case of micro adjustments till its sweet i hope from what i can make out the bike has not been used much at all .

While i am asking can you use an 8 speed freewheel as it is a 7 speed one on the back ?

Also is there a adapter to use the newer slot on cassettes or is it a case of new wheel/ hub as the one on is a screw on?

PpPete

Legendary Member
cyberknight said:
I had a look at the shimano site 1st and the tech specs have an exploded view for parts ordering and an operation manual but neither show the adjuster/support that comes out of the shifter .

I know how to adjust the set up as normal on the derailleur.

Thanks for all the reply's !!

Just a case of micro adjustments till its sweet i hope from what i can make out the bike has not been used much at all .

While i am asking can you use an 8 speed freewheel as it is a 7 speed one on the back ?

Also is there a adapter to use the newer slot on cassettes or is it a case of new wheel/ hub as the one on is a screw on?

If you get an 9 speed cassette and use only 8 of the sprockets it's the same width as a 7 speed cassette. But you still need a 9 speed chain & 9 speed shifters - just lock out the last click.

I don't know of any adapter to put a cassette on a hub for screw-on freewheel.... so you might as well get a hub that's capable of taking the wider cassettes.

gbb

Legendary Member
You have the early 7 speed Soras then cyber...
You cant fit an 8 speed freewheel, the shifters are limited to 7 speed. The only option (and a relatively expensive one) is to fit 8 speed shifters and freewheel.
I dont know whether if you did go down that road, whether the hub would accept an 8 speed freewheel. It may..it may not, i dont know. Hope that helps a little.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I will keep as in then its for commuting and the gear spread is fine especially as i have stuck a rack and guards on with a full bag it does the job
52X14 top gear is not that high but good enough for my purposes.

Edit i have seen a 13-26 freewheel on ebay if i did want to upgrade the ratios

Top Bottom