Sore Feet & Ass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I have the Assos Chamois cream and padded shorts, is my next move a Brooks B17 the bike has a narrow saddle that came with the bike. I alsoget sore feet which then seems to make the calfs uncomfortable. Would cycling socks really make a difference, if so I'll get some instead of my running socks. I decided to reduce the running and up the cycling to avoid injury :wahhey:

Anyone any ideas?

montage

God Almighty
I doubt socks would make much of a difference with sore feet, unless it is the friction of the sock causing you the pain. You could always try cycling socks, win win either way. If they stop they pain - win, if they don't then you have some nice cycling socks - win. As for bum pain, there are millions of saddles out there which may suit you and are far cheaper than the brooks. Try looking at saddles which a lot of people seem to find comfy (e.g. the charge spoon which is about £25)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Can't disagree with Montage.

Re the Charge Spoon saddle - Get it. I got a Brooks B17 when I bought me new Charge bike. I thought I'd try the stock Spoon saddle first and it's that good the Brooks has been sat in the drawer.

I will use fit the B17 at some point, but don't feel the need to do so imminently.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
check your bike setup first, start with saddle height and fore/aft position, then reach and finally saddle tilt. I wouldn't swap around saddles until I had these bits right. Re the feet, I use flat pedals so don't suffer from discomfort at all.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
The pedals I was using were the one's with a cage now today I swapped over to the 520s and cycle shoes but still a bit of a niggle which seems to extend up into the back of the knee.

jimboalee

The Jogger said:
The pedals I was using were the one's with a cage now today I swapped over to the 520s and cycle shoes but still a bit of a niggle which seems to extend up into the back of the knee.

Sore ass AND pain up the BACK of the knee = Saddle too high.

JNR

I swear by Hilly double layer socks for running, and they have never caused any discomfort at all when running or cycling. Then again I got my current running shoes after a gait analysis session and my bike was set up to near precision detail by myself and an experienced biker mate, did all the plum lining and all that just to check LBS was spot on (which it was!).

If I were you I'd take the bike to a LBS and get them to set the bike up for you.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
JNR said:
I swear by Hilly double layer socks for running, and they have never caused any discomfort at all when running or cycling. Then again I got my current running shoes after a gait analysis session and my bike was set up to near precision detail by myself and an experienced biker mate, did all the plum lining and all that just to check LBS was spot on (which it was!).

If I were you I'd take the bike to a LBS and get them to set the bike up for you.

I'll do that, when I next get a chance. I have the 1,000 mile double lined sock, they might be good for the cycling.
cheers

Trek Trauma Chris

The Jogger said:
I'll do that, when I next get a chance. I have the 1,000 mile double lined sock, they might be good for the cycling.
cheers

As a quick "rule of thumb", sit on the seat without shoes on, have someone hold the bike for you, position the crank arms so that they are parallel to the seat tube, now with your heel resting on the bottom pedal your extended leg should be straight, then when you put a shoe on and have the ball of your foot on the pedal the bend in the knee should be correct. The sore feet sounds like your feet are moving about in your shoe, tighten shoes or double up on socks.

Top Bottom