Sore legs advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mynydd

Veteran
Hi, I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.
I'm due to cycle 75 miles tomorrow ( in fact I have to as I'm doing it for charity) I've been doing 40+ rides all summer fairly easily and without any problems.
Two days ago I climbed a very steep mountain for the first time in ages, and my legs are now very sore! I'm assuming it is because it's a very different activity to cycling and that if I set off by spinning for the first few miles I should hopefully be ok for the rest of the ride.
Any ideas? Or miracle cures for my legs? Having never cycled so far before I could do witha bit of reassurance! Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Have a long hot bath and some ibuprofen

Also, a good stretch of all the muscles after the bath

Vickster's advice is good.

You'll be fine, but it will be harder than it might have been. Spin, don't push too hard until/if you feel ready. Take a proper break in the middle and walk around or lie down, so you effectively make it two sub-40 mile rides, that you know you can knock out with no trouble

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
I'm always eating so yep, with food^_^ Thanks for the advice, have packed them for the ride.
Ha ha, I'll give it a go snorri, but will probably end up with a couple of black eyes then too :blush:

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Just wanted to thank vickster for the fantastic advice, it worked a treat.
First ever 75 mile ride done it 5.39 whith a horrible headwind for most of the way - so quite pleased with that ^_^

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
hope you weren't tested for drugs..................................................:laugh:

well done.............:thumbsup:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on a sore muscles note
i did a lot of hill walking on Munros --- coming down was often worse - maybe you overdid the descent
due to illness i've been sitting about 10-12 hours a day all week
my upper thigh muscles have tightened ALOT and i will need some exercises before riding again

''Your gluteal, or butt, muscles are responsible for extension of your hip in movement such as climbing stairs or standing up out of a chair. Unfortunately, constantly sitting in a chair or the development of high levels of quad strength through exercise can cause your quadriceps to “take over” for your glutes during these movements. This reinforces quad tightness because they are will now have to work more often unless strength in your glutes is restored....''

Coggy

Just wanted to thank vickster for the fantastic advice, it worked a treat.
First ever 75 mile ride done it 5.39 whith a horrible headwind for most of the way - so quite pleased with that ^_^

Well done.

75 is my next target for next spring/summer

Top Bottom