Sore palm fix advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeTheRider

Hi there, I'm a keen cyclist, injured my right hand, had to wear a wrist splint for 4 weeks, it’s fine now, the cut has healed but still a lot of swelling in the palm. Today I went for a short ride but it hurts a lot. Tried padding with tennis racquet overgrip but didn’t help much. Have seen these kind of flat/wider custom made grips online custom grips Any feedback really appreciated especially about actual delivery time in the US. Any suggestion on padded gloves really appreciated too. Thanks a lot and enjoy the ride!

vickster

Legendary Member
Ergon GA3 grips are soft and comfortable. Should be easily sourced from Amazon US
https://www.ergonbike.com/en/article-ga3.html
different sizes and colours available

Gloves, ones that fit. I rate Specialized BG gel, should also be available widely in the US (you don’t say if you want short or long finger)

iluvmybike

Über Member
I expect you will have a lot of scar tissue after a bad cut. You need to do some exercises to stretch the palm back out again - gently at first of course. Using your other hand you can push your fingers gently backwards to start stretch the ligaments/tendons. Also using a tennis ball or similar in yuor plam try to squeeze it with your fingers. Don't go mad little bit at a time. I'd recommend tome well padded gloves too. Hope it improves sooner rather than later

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi there, I'm a keen cyclist, injured my right hand, had to wear a wrist splint for 4 weeks, it’s fine now, the cut has healed but still a lot of swelling in the palm. Today I went for a short ride but it hurts a lot. Tried padding with tennis racquet overgrip but didn’t help much. Have seen these kind of flat/wider custom made grips online custom grips Any feedback really appreciated especially about actual delivery time in the US. Any suggestion on padded gloves really appreciated too. Thanks a lot and enjoy the ride!
You've spotted those custom grips are a Kickstarter project. Manufacture won't begin until November 18th at the earliest and more likely in 2022.

Don't forget "Rewards aren't guaranteed"

This is one reason to always wear gloves/mitts on a bike; hand injuries take ages to heal and are very disabling.
On a flat bar, Ergon cork grips are good.

You could mould your own grips using Sugru. You may need a few interations to get it right. Probably better than a one-time "custom grip". Gripology is too complicated to get right first time.

https://pin.it/5Yb7yXP

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeTheRider

Thank you all! Really precious and expert advice. I'm going to try the Specialized dual gel gloves and making my own grip with Sugru, it might not look beautiful but it's just what I need right now plus I really like the idea of making it myself. I'm also having my right brake lever placed on the left, not sure where exactly - end of the drop? hope my local bike shop can take care of this today. I've seen it used by some amazing paracyclists, it might take some time to get used to it but right now braking with my right hand simply doesn't feel... well... right! Enjoy the ride!

Top Bottom