Sore throats after cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickL

Über Member
When I do a reasonable commute 5+ miles, few days later I all ways end up with a sore throat, meaning I can't use my bike till it clears, am I the only one or does any one else suffer the same thing and any solutions to prevent it from happening ?

BSRU

A Human Being
I woke up feeling like crap this morning with a head cold including a sore throat, just got on the bike and rode in as normal including a little SCR.
It is possible I may have over done it yesterday or not eaten enough calories and I did go to bed ninety minutes later than usual so less sleep.
Strangely I felt alot better whilst I was cycling plus I know I generally feel better as the day goes on.

beastie

Guru
When I do a reasonable commute 5+ miles, few days later I all ways end up with a sore throat, meaning I can't use my bike till it clears, am I the only one or does any one else suffer the same thing and any solutions to prevent it from happening ?

Just ride easy with a sore throat, you should be fine.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Make sure you are not tensing the throat muscles when exerting yourself uphill - they can give similar symptoms if you aggravate them.

OP
OP
MickL

MickL

Über Member
Make sure you are not tensing the throat muscles when exerting yourself uphill - they can give similar symptoms if you aggravate them.

You might have a point there, a lot of commute involves hills. Might be the cold weather as well after reading on the internet, so might pull the buff up over my mouth
Stop shouting at motorists....
and I dont shout at motorists I just give them my sheep worrying stare.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I find my lungs & throat get "bitty" after a longer ride in the cold, coughing little bits of phlegm up (euch... sorry!).

A buff helps.

I think the intense breathing dries stuff out which would otherwise stay wet... hydration is important.

jamin100

Guru
I've currently got tonsillitis which I'm wondering if it's down to cycling a bit too much over the past few weeks.

I had a bit of a cold a few weeks back and kept going on the bike and I think it's now catching up with me

OP
OP
MickL

MickL

Über Member
Well at the moment I have done no cycling since my 10mile commute home last Thurs, bad throat (lots of gunk coming up) also now a head cold so maybe cycling isnt to blame for my current bout of sore throat but breathing in cold air etc possible hasn't helped.

Top Bottom