Soreness after bike ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnny Bond

Hi, I was just wondering if any of you could help please?

If I done the coast to coast bike ride over 3 days, approx. 150miles,approx. how long would it take to recover from muscle soreness etc. I've only been riding every other day for a month 2 miles a day. Thanks

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
So there's two questions- would you make it going from (basically) a non cyclist to 3 days at 50 miles a day?
Secondly how long to recover?

OP
OP
J

Johnny Bond

Thanks for the replies.
Helston yes 2 questions really, if you could answer both that would be appreciated thanks :smile:

@Johnny Bond when are you think of doing it, what is the furthest you have cycled, its not I think about how sore you might be but if you can do it at this point in your cycling.

When I was 32 I hopped on a bike with a little bit of riding and rode to Oldham from Batley and back which was about 60 miles and 2,500ft of climbing cant remember the route so that is an approximation, I felt ok, but if I had done it two years ago at 48 and not cycling for neally 16 years though did have a flirt in 2008, I wouldn't have dreamed about it.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Im no expert, but I think your being more than a little optimistic. Your going to try to go from 2 miles every second day to 150 miles over 3 days. Depending on when your going to do this, you would have to step up your game IE training by a huge amount.

Personally I wouldn't even consider it unless I knew for sure I could do 50 miles at a time, without suffering any problems. If your set on doing it then the best of luck. I think your going to need it.

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll need to start cycling more. I'd say on what you are doing you will struggle to do day one especially if it's hot, wet and/or windy. And especially if hilly. Get out on the bike or you are going to be really sore. Forget the muscles in your legs, that won't be the worst of it. Some high end bib shorts may help a little, then again they may not! :ohmy:

Do you mean if you did it, rather than done it?!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The OP said how long would it take to recover, so going by that he is saying if he did it. Not if he had done it. I think.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome:to Cycle Chat @Johnny Bond!
May I suggest you do a 50 mile ride as a trial, before the actual CtC planned.
This would give you an idea of how hard/easy it would be for you to do 50 miles 3 days on a row.
For all we now, you might already be super fit, needing only to harden your bum to the saddle :laugh:
Good luck!

[QUOTE 3089780, member: 9609"]Does cycling ever give you sore/stiff muscles? Hill walking does because on descent the muscles need to work backwards and that gives the lactic acid problem, but with cycling the muscles are always working in the correct direction, so very tired muscles yes, but painful ones ?[/QUOTE]
You can if unfit as you are using muscles differently, even now after two years I sometimes ache from lactic acid, but not so much that a few gentle miles doesn't sort out.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
You can if unfit as you are using muscles differently, even now after two years I sometimes ache from lactic acid, but not so much that a few gentle miles doesn't sort out.
Also to newbies the satisfaction of trying to stand up the morning after with a sly grin on ones face remembering the day before's pleasure may well be confused with being sore.

Top Bottom