Sorry, another cycling question..........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

One starts with an S, the other with an A.

I think a sportiff is actually marshalled feed stations etc, the other isn't, it's just you against the elements

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sportive courses are marked all the way round, there is generally mechanical service available and there are no time limits, you can go as fast as you like.

Routes on audax events are unmarked, you are provided with a route sheet when you enter and you have to find your own way round. There is no service, you are expected to be self-sufficient and there is a maximum average speed, typically 25kph.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Sportives tend to be timed, signed, marshalled, have tech support and cost £20 or so.
Audaxes have time limits (often a min speed of 15 kph, max of 30 kph), have controls where you sign in, but no tech support. They cost more like a fiver. The results sheet doesn't give times as a rule, just a list of who finished. If you imagine a low budget, non-competitive sportive run by the CTC you're pretty much there.
I like them both!

And SJ can type faster than me.

Mortiroloboy

TheDoctor said:
Sportives tend to be timed, signed, marshalled, have tech support and cost £20 or so.
Audaxes have time limits (often a min speed of 15 kph, max of 30 kph), have controls where you sign in, but no tech support. They cost more like a fiver. The results sheet doesn't give times as a rule, just a list of who finished. If you imagine a low budget, non-competitive sportive run by the CTC you're pretty much there.I like them both!

And SJ can type faster than me.

LOL Excellent!

domtyler

Über Member
Sportives are like a long distance semi-competitive event. Feels like being in a road race, there are some bling bikes and people are going for it. Timing chips are used.

Audaxes are only open to people with lots of facial hair and riding something made of Steel or Magnesium alloy and eat plate after plate of beans on toast. (and that's just the girls ;)). Map reading skills are essential. No timing chips, plenty of potato chips. :biggrin:

stevenb

I'm hopefully entering my first Sportif event in March. :biggrin:
Looking forward to it.
I wont get my wheels/tyres/tubes/cassette in time but at least I'll have an opportunity to enjoy myself against the other entrants. As long as I finish I'll be happy.....not expecting anything more.

DLB

how long are sportif races/rides? Audaxes tend to be 100km+, are sportifs as long. And how do i find out about sportif races near me?

longers

Legendary Member
DLB said:
how long are sportif races/rides? Audaxes tend to be 100km+, are sportifs as long. And how do i find out about sportif races near me?

I don't know the average distance but there is a good website here.

Joe

Über Member
I've had a great time on the couple of sportives I've done. The routes were really interesting, and there was a real sense of achievement on finishing.
I've not done an Audax yet but I'd like to at some point, as I need to get some long distance training in! How does the max speed limit work in practice? (Not expecting to break it or anything but just wondering). Does it mean there will be noone at the checkpoint, and you'll have to wait to get stamped? Or you get disqualified or what?:wacko:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks guys, I'd forgotten about this thread :laugh:

My club is organising some Audax rides for July of 100, 150, 200 & 300K and I'm seriously thinking of going for the 150.
I'm sure there are marshalls and direction markers though so thats not actually an audax then but a sportiff?

Either way I'm going to cycle another 7 miles at the end of it so that I'll have done my first century :thumbsup: (assumes surviving the 150K first :biggrin: )

Top Bottom