Sorry, another what bike post . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam Standen

Hi again folks,

Having ordered a bike online and having delivery problems (Decathlon T540 with mudgurds, rack and 28c tyres for approx £750), I’m again looking for a new bike.

Any suggestions for a new road bike with compact chainset (50/34 & 11-28/12-32 cassette)? Was hoping for a Sora/105 but might have to settle for a Tiagra. Will also need to be able to take full mudgurds/rack and 28c tyres. Up to £700 - £750. I know it’s a big ask but would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

simon.r

Person
No specific suggestions, but I wouldn’t get too hung up about the chainset / cassette. It’s not desperately expensive to change the rings / cassette and possibly chain / rear mech.

Generally a few older models available at significant discounts that would enable you to come in under budget overall.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi again folks,

Having ordered a bike online and having delivery problems (Decathlon T540 with mudgurds, rack and 28c tyres for approx £750), I’m again looking for a new bike.

Any suggestions for a new road bike with compact chainset (50/34 & 11-28/12-32 cassette)? Was hoping for a Sora/105 but might have to settle for a Tiagra. Will also need to be able to take full mudgurds/rack and 28c tyres. Up to £700 - £750. I know it’s a big ask but would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks
Something like a Planet X London road although mostly 1x11? A gravel type bike will give you the guards, rack and tyres

This looks a deal

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-axe7-tiagra-gravel-bike-2017-104289.html

You realise 10 Speed Tiagra is between Sora (9 Speed) and 105 (11 Speed)

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Aren’t they 1x11 chainsets? And BB5s

Yes, that's why I mentioned that they're SRAM rather than the Shimano sets the OP mentioned.

As for BB5's, I know some people have a downer on them but I haven't had a minutes trouble with that set up on one of my bikes. I'd have though that discs would be an advantage on a bike that looks set to be used year round, especially as both bikes are under budget?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, that's why I mentioned that they're SRAM rather than the Shimano sets the OP mentioned.

As for BB5's, I know some people have a downer on them but I haven't had a minutes trouble with that set up on one of my bikes. I'd have though that discs would be an advantage on a bike that looks set to be used year round, especially as both bikes are under budget?
Sram do compact doubles (I have on 4 bikes) but I got the impression the OP wants one rather than a single chainring set up

My BB5s were awful, needed constant adjustment, as I don't do adjustment the replacement Spyres are far better for me. Ymmv

vickster

Legendary Member
Oops! Yes , sorry my bad. Was just trying to,get something better than a Claris :-)
The merlin I linked would be spot on with some slicks and Spyres if the Tektro don't suit

simon.r

Person
Don't think any meet spec or budget though? :smile:

This one looks as if it might: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fuji-sportif-2-1-road-bike-2018/rp-prod166349

...compact chainset (50/34 & 11-28/12-32 cassette) Yes

Was hoping for a Sora/105 but might have to settle for a Tiagra. Yes

Will also need to be able to take full mudgurds/rack and 28c tyres. It has 28c tyres. It has mudguard mounts and long drop brakes suggest it has enough clearance. Definitely has upper rack mounts.

Up to £700 - £750. Yes and enough left over to upgrade if desired.

Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom