Sorry, another Which road bike thread . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam Standen

Hi folks ^_^

I currently have a Ridgeback Meteor Hybrid bike and am thinking of changing to a road bike. Mostly for commuting on roads and the occasional cycle path/gravel path. I only have a budget of about £450 - £500. I’m after a road bike that will take rear rack and ‘full’ mudguards, not the clip on plastic ones or the ones that leave a gap around the brakes:ohmy:. Unfortunately most of the ones I’ve seen either won’t take full mudguards/rack or have a triple chainring. I’m hoping for a 50/34 and 11/12 - 28/30 cassette.

So far I’ve narrowed it down to a Roux Menthe Sora 2016 but would be grateful if anyone can suggest something similar or better for the money. I’ve also looked at the Tribans in Decathlon but the cheapest with a double chainset is a little too much :sad:

I also looked at the Boardman CX in Halfords http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-comp-bike-50-53-55-5-57-5cm-frames
But didn’t like the look of the extra brake lever on the handlebars.

Thanks for any help

Adam

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi folks ^_^

I also looked at the Boardman CX in Halfords http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-comp-bike-50-53-55-5-57-5cm-frames
But didn’t like the look of the extra brake lever on the handlebars.

Thanks for any help

Adam

The extra levers can be removed easily enough

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Roux looks like good value, with a steel frame it will be a little heavier than an alu framed bike but you won’t notice it too much. As a fairly new company do they offer any kind of warranty on the frame?
What’s wrong with a triple on the Triban? Pretty useful for hills and the Triban range represents excellent value for money. Buying from Decathlon gives you the peace of mind that goes with buying from the largest retailer of Cycles world wide, plus you get a lifetime frame warranty.
The Boardman is a rather different type of bike to the other two but may suit you depending what sort of rides you do. The Halfords experience can be very variable. You might find the cross levers rather convenient.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
A

Adam Standen

Look on eBay for a used Genesis equilibrium :okay: although there aren't any low cost ones at mo. Or how about a Ribble audax/winter bike?

Indeed what's wrong with a triple?

Nothing in particular. I have a triple on current bike and don’t use the small ring so thought I’d try a compact chainset.

the stupid one

Über Member
I recently got my first drop-bar bike for twenty years (and that bike was from about 1981). It's a bit of an upheaval using those brakes again, and more than once I've wished it had come with cross-levers. My friend has a Boardman road bike with cross-levers and he's very keen on them. Don't discount them too soon.

By the way, if you're prepared to go second-hand and eBay then do your homework first, decide which features/brands you're keen on, then check on Sunday evening for newly-listed buy-it-now bikes. You might find some bargains, especially if you can travel to pick up the bike. I recently got a heck of a bargain on my Triban.

Nyooome-nore

As a recent road-bike convert and owner of a B'Twin 500 SE, their bikes and customer support are pretty fab, you may wear something out relatively quickly depending how much you ride/how well you look after it, but they are very good at keeping your bike on the road. Recently walked in on my commute home because my freehub had died, and got a free wheel there-and-then. Lifetime frame warranty basically means you have a bike for life.

Regarding the triple, barely use my granny-gear day to day, my hometown spoils me with a beautifully flat commute, however if you decide to get into sportive/touring, then it is a lifesaver and will see you conquering any incline toot-sweet :smile:

Top Bottom