Sorry - this is probably a common question but - HOW DO YOU LOCK A RECUMBENT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use a combination of locks depending on the machine.

One useful weapon is the Masterlock Street Cuff

HancuftbikelockMA20595661-0009.jpg

THe cuff is just the right size for a 50 mm tube, and the options are up to you.

Putting a trike with a post in the crux of the triange, put one cuff on the crosspiece and one on the boom and it will be secure. Alternatively, one on the boom and on to a post will also function.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Unless you have Catbike which does have a rear triangle...

standalone

A 4' cable through a front wheel, normally the right one, then both ends padlocked to the chainguard. If I can get a post in there I will.
Or loop the cable around a post infront of the trike and padlock it to the chainguard. Thats handy in a carpark when I'm useing a car space.
Even if they just cut the cable, the padlock on the chainguard makes it very difficalt to pedal.

A short D lock through the back frame and back wheel. It's just possible to put a post from a sheffield stand in the lock.
My new ICE trike has a nice rear triangle to put the lock through.

A second cable lock through the tailers handle and back wheel. Again if it possible to add a post or tree in this lock I will.
Also having the trailer on means its at least a two person job to just pick it up and walk off with it.

I can also lock both front and back brakes which makes it impossible to push unless you know how to unlock the brakes.

BenM

Veteran
I put a U lock round the shock and through the rear wheel - a cosy fit and hard to defeat with a jack without mangling rear wheel, frame or seat. If anywhere other than work I loop a cable through the front wheel. I also take the seat pad with me.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Having tried a few 'bent bikes, I reckon that if a first time rider nicks one and tries to ride off, they'll fall off. In which case you can jump up and down on them till the police turn up :biggrin:
I tried Bottlemasher's one once, and I still quake in terror at the memory...

Top Bottom