Sorry Which Wheels (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I fortunate/ unfortunate to have Christmas and birthday one day after each other, anyway I've been asked what I'd like and wheels were the obvious answer for me and the first bit of bling I've had for a while: my short-list is:
Planet X Model B, (£130, 705g/948g)
Fulcrum 7, (£128, 828g/1021g)
Fulcrum 5, (£168, 775g/985g)
2011 Mavic Askiums, (£130, 830g/965g)

I'm edging towards the Planet X's (the lightest :blush: and not too expensive) but I thought I'd throw this open and ask what do other folk think and is there anything else in this price range I should be looking at?

Also my current wheels are the cup and cone type which I quite like maintenance wise but the above are all cartridge, what do folk think about that?

TIA

gbb

Legendary Member
I can only vouch for the Fulcrum 5s HLaB..
Had mine circa 6 months now, love em.
Simplicity itself to strip the freehub/hub/replace cartridge bearings, christ they're elegantly simple.

Strong ? i put the front wheel down a storm drain slot at moderate speed while not concentrating...BANG, oh jesus :whistle: ...not a mark on the rim, not a spoke loose, nothing...but i did mark the tyre and even found scuff damage to the innertube next time i stripped it. It really did bang down into the slot, i still can't believe i got away with it.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Fulcrum 7 is not very stiff - esp if you a big chap.

Mavic will almost certainly be easier to fit tyres to than the Fulcrums.

Like you I've grown up with cup & cone and their serviceability, but I've now got a pair of handbuilts on Hope hubs and they just spin so smoothly, and spin, and spin, and spin .....

Never heard a bad review of the Model B. For a wheelset that light (bladed spokes as well, for bling) at that price it's difficult to refuse.

Top Bottom