Sources for cheap 590 wheel? (26x1 3/8)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm learning lots about old bicycles lately ... my wife's new old Hercules has this size of wheel and it's apparently not the same as any other kind of 26" wheel. I'd rather like to replace the front wheel with an alloy rimmed wheel to improve the stopping power in the wet, but options seem limited. In fact, the only option I've found so far is the Rigida RM19 rim from SJS, and a hub, and build the wheel myself - which is one possibility but I wonder if there are others. The current hub needs a bit of TLC itself anyway, so I don't think I want to reuse it.

Anyone? I'm guessing the 590 rim is not close enough to any other size that I can just put an MTB wheel in and expect the brake calipers to reach the rim, or am I wrong?

tyred

Legendary Member
650B?

OP
OP
D

Dan B

Disengaged member
Thanks for the tip. Looking into 650B now, but the choices in the UK don't seem to be so much wider than the 590, unless you want to go for boutiquey stuff that all costs a bit more than I was expecting to pay.

I guess there's no obvious way to tell without trying it what the ride will be like with a 584 rim on the front and 590 on the back, but the rear hub is a 40 hole sturmey archer 3-speed

tyred

Legendary Member
Depending on the amount of adjustment on brake caliper and the frame clearance (which is usually pretty generous on old three speeds) you might be able to fit a 700c or 27" wheel. You will probably find there is little difference in the overall height of your current wheel and a roadbike wheel with a skinny tyre. Even if you need to change the caliper, old Weinmann sidepulls are cheap on ebay and work very well.

coruskate said:
What happens then, do I turn back into a pumpkin?
There is only one way to find out!

jimboalee

There's a bicycle 'breakers' shed in Kidderminster called "Spokes".

They take used bikes and make good ones.

You will have to visit them to see the shelves and shelves of 'retro' parts they have.

At my last visit, a complete wheel with a Sturmey hub ( with dyno or not ) was £8.

Top Bottom