Sourdough bread.......yes or no ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Reason for asking is I just picked up some part baked baguettes...... those that you shove in the oven to finish off.
I didn't realise I had picked up sourdough.
Had a sourdough loaf once and didn't enjoy it so it should be interesting.
BTW....the plan is, crusty baguette with ham.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Well you're stuck with them now! Bake them and you'll probably enjoy them, albeit they'll be what's known as sourfaux, i.e. not true sourdough.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nice, I like a good sourdough.

I tried to make my own sourdough starter a couple of years ago. Kept going for 2 weeks but nothing came from it, except from stinking up the kitchen :laugh:
I had one that didn't take.

I think the key for mine was keeping less of the discard (which I hated, so wasteful!)

What worked for me;

1 litre kilner jar, lid loosely closed (i.e. without the clip fastened). Weigh the jar and note the weight before adding anything.
80g water
50g strong white flour
50g wholemeal flour

Mix at 8am, leave on kitchen counter.

Next day and following days
Pour off as much of the mixture as will pour easily from the jar. You want no more than 50g of the mixture left (and you've weighed the jar, so know how much this is). I've seen plenty of recommendations for keeping 10g.

Add 80g water, mix with what's already in the jar. Add 50g strong white flour & 50g wholemeal, mix into the starter/water mix thoroughly.

Marking the jar with a rubber band (the level of the starter/flour/water mix after "feeding") is a good tip. Mine took slightly more than two weeks to get going, iirc, but now is reliably "doubling and bubbling".

Once the starter's underway, it needs the same feeding routine every day, if you keep it at room temperature. It will go a week between feeds if you keep it in the fridge (bring it out before you want to bake & give it two feeds before baking) or indefinitely if you freeze it. Try not to change flours (or if you do, give it chance to get used to the new mix).

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Fine to buy and eat, if sometimes a bit pricey. A complete faff to make. :okay:
It's a long process, but not complicated & the actual hands on time is pretty minimal (ime).

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Top Bottom