South America Tour: ROUTE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

Ok, what with sorting out Jabs (requiring me to trace my medical records after not having used a doctor in over 10 years), looking for the best deal on a flight (and trying to understand the different policies on bikes, one-way tickets, etc) and fretting about which bike (help me decide! see this thread). The fun bit is thinking up the route.

So far my idea is to fly to Buenos Aires. Then I will either cycle (and/or get a bus) to Ushuaia, the most southerly city in the world. From there, you guessed it, I'll go north. I'd like to ride the Careterra Austral if I arrive at the right time for the ferries to be running. Then I will continue north through Chile and probably head to Bolivia then Peru, then equador.

If its safe to do so, I would like to go through the south of Columbia to Venezuela and then up to the coast of the Caribbean.

Otherwise, I will consider a river boat trip across Brazil and then cycle to Venezuela via the coast of brazil, guyane, suiname, and guyana.

From there it depends on how well the funds are doing. If I have money left I could try and work as crew on a sailing boat and visit some of the caribbean islands, or I could continue up through central america, mexico and perhaps into the US.

Well thats just a rough idea. I'm sure it will straighten out as I get going...

any recommedations on what I absolutely cannot miss out on or where I have got it all wrong are very gratefully recieved!!

Brains

Legendary Member
You need to do some serious web searching, and get yourself to a decent map shop

BA to the bottom: It's long, boring, flat, windy and the roads are gravel. Unless the target is cycle from the bottom of SAmerica to Alaska I'd take the plane/bus to Ushuaia. Look around the area (amazing) and then head north on the Chile side, not being too fussed if you take the odd bus or boat as far as Puerto Montt

Then cycle Chile/Bolivia/Peru/Ecuador
A vast amount to see, a lot to do. I could give you a more detailed route

The idea of cycling up the East and then North coast of Brazil is not one I'd chose.
Eastern Brazil is hot, dry and very very poor, not a lot to see or do

Then check out the road system between Brazil, Suriname, Guyana and Venezuela.
(Clue: There is no road system. It is not currently possible for example to get from Guyana to Venezuela except by ferry to Trinidad and then Trinidad to Venezuela.)
You will also notice the rivers don't have bridges, so unless you are into serious 3rd world travel because you have done all the interesting stuff and you speak Portuguese then I'd forget this route

Likewise you can not ride from Ecuador/Columbia/Venezuela to Central America/Mexico, the main problem being no roads ! (Google 'darien gap')

I'd think in terms of getting flight to Santiago and then head north to Quito. From there onto Venezuela (with the bike on a bus or plane across Columbia).

Or get a flight to Quito and head south to Santiago. At that point you could either go to Ushuia and/or cross the Andies to Rio in time for carnival (Feb 2010)

OP
OP
H

hubbike

Brains, thanks for your help. I will definitely be using the bus for the more unpleasant sections. Hadn’t really looked into Brazil much but liked the idea of a long boat ride through the Amazon.

No intension of crossing the dense jungle of the Darien gap and getting kidnapped by FARC terrorists.

I’m now thinking it would be great to be in Rio for the carnival. So I need a route for oct – feb (4 months) ending in Rio and then an onwards route, preferably ending in Venezuela (where I have extended family to visit).
What if I bus down to Ushuaia, cycle/bus/ferry as far as Puerto Montt and then cycle to Santiago, cross the Andes into Argentina and head through Uruguay to Rio
Is there a good route between Rio and Bolivia via Paraguay?
Then continue on panamerican highway to Quito and bus/fly to Venezuela.

Rich P, Not really got my head around prevailing winds. I thought they were generally south-westerly under the tropic of Capricorn and north-westerly above it?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Reading that crazyguy blog from page 51 onwards it would appear that the wind can be a factor. He mentions that an Israeli cyclist gave up travelling north because of it. I know nothing of it personally but he mentions somewhere that the prevailing winds are north-westerly.

canadiense

Give Jeff a read:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=1419&v=7M9

I only have six months so I will have an abbreviated tour starting in September of this year. I will probably start off in Cuba and then I will be off to Ecuador heading south with a view to completing the Carretera Austral in January. I have to see Buenos Aires while in the neighboutrhood so I plan to fly back to Vancouver from there. I must be back at work by March 1 but that is the only firm date that I have. And yes I am prepared to miss the winter olympics in Vancouver.

If any of this appeals to you, I do like company.

OP
OP
H

hubbike

I have been reading that blog too, great stuff.

Iris and Tore give some fairly compelling reasons to head north.

1. gradually travel from more civilized to more rural.
2. wind and climate generally on side
3. there is the option to continue either in central america, us, canada, alaska or to do some sailling in the caribbean.

Canadaiense, I'd definately be interested in teaming up at some point if it works out. Stay in touch.

Top Bottom