South Asia tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madcyclist

Hi All,

After two years of planning and many agonising days wondering whether I'm doing the best thing for me or making a mistake, I'm now over excited about leaving for my tour of South Asia on Friday evening. I'm a racer at heart and love the buzz I get riding fixed to my limits, hopefully I'll enjoy relaxing and taking in all the experiences of touring. I've deliberately not planned the route on a day to day basis, just a rough outline with a list of must see places and sights but a huge database of information and phrases stored on the notebook and backed up online for safety.

I'll be updating the blog linked in my signature and this thread whenever internet connections allow, difficult for the first 4-5 weeks as there is little electricity or running water let alone internet connection.

I spent 4 years living out of a suitcase racing and training all around Europe from the ages of 18-22 so it won't be a completely new experience. The main difference this time is that I'm doing the tour alone without the support of team mates and helpers.

Regards,

Tony.

Good for you Tony it sounds like a fantastic trip ...

One of the things that i would never of thought of doing until i read it in Alastair Humphreys book was a "Magic Letter" explaining who you are and what you are doing in the various languages that you might encounter on your tour ... might be an idea for you ?

Simon

May I wish you the very best of luck, while simultaneously expressing my extreme envy?

I have not long returned from nearly a month in the Philippines, and I fell in love with the area. I'd love to ride in Vietnam, and plan to do so when I retire to the Philippines. Do keep us armchair travellers updated with your experiences.

OP
OP
M

Madcyclist

xpc316e said:
May I wish you the very best of luck, while simultaneously expressing my extreme envy?

I have not long returned from nearly a month in the Philippines, and I fell in love with the area. I'd love to ride in Vietnam, and plan to do so when I retire to the Philippines. Do keep us armchair travellers updated with your experiences.

I was also envious of most of the travel writers and bloggers I've read over the years. After the stress and sadness following the break up of my marraige it seems the ideal time to go for it, time will tell.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Am envious. South Asia is a big place with varying climate and terrain though this time of year it's going to be hot, hot and humid.

Where are you going?

OP
OP
M

Madcyclist

Moodyman said:
Am envious. South Asia is a big place with varying climate and terrain though this time of year it's going to be hot, hot and humid.

Where are you going?

I'm starting of by flying into Delhi on Friday evening, train to Shimla then riding through the Spitl valley and Manali - Leh highway. Flying to Bangkok, heading north before crossing into Laos. Following the Mekong southwards into Cambodia, where I'll be taking a few days at Angkor Watt before crossing into Vietnam. Following the coastal route north before flying back.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Sounds nice.

OP
OP
M

Madcyclist

Hi All,

Five days into the cycling part of the tour, 219 miles in over 31hrs. Starting to settle into it now, I feel like a tourer not a racer. The terrain and heat are making it difficult, using the granny gears for the long climbs and just idling up them within myself. Rest day tomorrow before the Manali - Leh highway commences.

Just updated my blog, now I've finally found a net connection !!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Just in case Tony cannot get on-line, here is the latest from his blog:-

Marrhi to Keylong: - Didn't work out as planned
Monday July 5, 2010, 31 miles (50 km) - Total so far: 273 miles (440 km)

Today hasn't worked out as planned to put it bluntly. The weather was against me all day, leggings, waterproofs and full length gloves. The roads were atrocious packed mud, rocks and streams of rainwater most of the way resulting in pushing the bike for at least half of the 16km to the summit. I had to decide whether to push on to Keylong or turn back. Having decided to push on I was forced to change my mind when at one of the pinch points a Tata track reversed back into me. I put my own safety first and rolled out of the way, just mudied and a couple of cuts to my legs. The bike wasn't so fortunate nearly crushed by the back axle but fortunately the only damage is to the rear derailleur stopping me using most of the gears. I limped back to Manali instead. My initial thoughts were simply to quit, get back to Manali and arrange flights back to the UK. As I limped back to Manali, I've decided to get in touch with Hippo in Bangkok and see if it will be alright to arrange flights there a couple of weeks earlier than expected and get the bike repaired and serviced at Hippo's local dealer. After 2 years of planning and nervous anticipation it would be a crime to abort now at the first sign of problems and not meet Hippo after chatting online with him for the past 2 years.
I was soaked through and absolutely frozen by the time I reached the summit not improving much until I had a warm shower and a couple of cups of chai at the tonight's hotel. I'm disappointed not to be riding the Manali - Leh highway, but may consider doing one of the CTC organised one's in the future. The scenery was obscured all day by the rain and low cloud so haven't taken any photos today.

One positive is that I've at least got internet access for a couple of days through the cyber cafe opposite the hotel. Oh, I'm absolutely fine enjoyed my time in India and still very positive about the remainder of the tour, although in Hippo's last email he stated that he needs a Kayak at the moment.

After 4 days of torrential rain, it's nice here in Bangkok now - just a few spits & spots.

Top Bottom