South Coast Charity Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Just over a year ago my Dad passed away from a rather sudden illness. On Monday, I went to visit the offices of the charity (Shooting Star Childrens Hospice) who he worked for, who were unveiling a little 'feature' for the kids there which was built in his honour using money collected during his funeral. I had a chat to the people who run the charity during the time I was there and talked to them about an idea I'd had for doing a sponsored ride to raise money for them.

My Dad was a keen long distance walker and there were a couple of walks he'd always planned on doing but never managed - one was walking the South Coast. Although he had managed to do it in stages, i.e. walking a section then going home, and doing another stretch some months later and so on, he never managed to do the whole lot in one go. I thought it would be a good idea now I've become a keen cyclist to have a go at doing the route myself on a bike, in his honour, for the charity he used to work for.

So I've just started serious looking into the logistics involved in doing this, and wondered if anyone might be able to answer the following:

1. First of all, looking at some of the journeys spoken about here, do you think the south coast would be considered 'impressive' enough to warrant sponsorship? With people talking about riding through south america and africa I fear my journey might be considered a little wussy!

2. I plan to follow the Sustrans National Route 2 South Coast route, but starting at Lands End and possibly going further to Margate.

3. Anyone have any experience of organising sponsorship for such things? As well as getting the donations in, I could really do with seeing if I can get anyone to loan me a more suitable touring bike as my current hybrid can't take mudguards and panniers.

4. As someone who is reasonably fit, and who rides approx 80-100 miles a week, how long should I factor in for doing such a journey? Would 60-80 miles a day be doable?

5. Would March be a reasonable time of year for attempting something like this, or might it be too cold still?

Thanks!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
That's going to be around 450 miles, which to non-cyclists will sound pretty impressive. If you are doing it un-supported even more so.

60 - 80 miles per day is about right if you are carrying gear, i do about 65 fully loaded with camping and cooking gear.

As for the bike, if you're not camping stick a topeak seatpost rack and some SKS raceblade guards on. If you are camping there's bound to be a way to stick a rack on your hybrid.

Can't help with the sponsorship i'm afraid. There's the usual online sites to collect money, i think i remember seeing that Virgin have a site where more of the money goes to the charity.

Time of year depends on where you're sleeping i guess. If you're camping it might be very cold and you might struggle to find open campsites . If you're in B&B it doesn't make much difference how cold it is as you'll keep warm riding. Also think about sunset times, about 6pm in mid March, so you're going to be off the bike pretty early if you need to set up a tent.

Sounds like a great ride and good luck with it whatever you decide. If you need to borrow some gear post a list and i'll see what i can sort out for you.

cheers

paul

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Thanks for the info - I will be doing it alone, and will plan to stay at Youth Hostels / B&Bs rather than camping I think!

I did look at a seatpost rack, but am unsure whether it'll be capable of taking all the bits and bobs I plan to take - several changes of clothes, shoes, wash things, tools, spares etc, along with various gizmos. Maybe it will?

Having said that, it's not just the carrying aspect that I feel my bike might not be suited to - it's a very rigid alu framed bike mine, and I feel it would just be too uncomfortable over long rides, especially with post-winter potholed roads - I think I would ideally borrow a nice tourer or cross bike should it be possible. The charity I'm doing this for have done bike-related events before, so I'm hoping they may be able to sort me out, otherwise I have an aquaintance with a Dawes Galaxy which I may be able to talk into lending me - although I fear it may be too big at he's a couple of inches taller than me!

Another question - charging stuff - are there dynamo etc kits available for charging electronic gizmos whilst on the move, and are they effective?

Top Bottom