south downs tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Youth Hostel at Truleigh Hill above Brighton is great and right on the SDW. There's another at Patcham. Staying anywhere near Brighton or Lewes is an arm and a leg. If you're in Lewes, try the Snowdrop Inn for food and drink or if in Brighton the Prestonville Arms in Brigden Street/Hamilton Road where you can always get a seat and has a garden out back to park your bikes.

Patcham YH closed in 2007,

Starting from Winchester 7 june me and a mate tackling this route in 3 days. Any useful tips inc Accom en route would be very much appreciated.
Youth hostel wise, then your first one near to your route would be Arundel, if it not been sold by then, then truliegh Hill, then telscombe, then Alfriston and finally Eastbourne.

There plenty of B&B but you need to Leave the SDW and either drop off to the North or South towards the coast and book before hand.

If Camping then I would say wild camp, as easy enough to find a place to hide yourself away there is a campsite at washington which is handy for the franklin arms.

Last time I rode it I made it to Clayton windmills, then dropped down into Hassocks and got the train back to my home in Crawley, then next morning took the train back down to Hassocks to rejoin the route

The Olde Smugglers Inne in Alfriston is expensive for accommodation, but does good food and beer!

31646.jpg

Top Bottom