South Wales Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hello!, good to meet you and thanks. Do you have a set route(s) you normally do? Yeah, driven round the Gower area quite a bit and it's proving difficult to avoid most of the big hills on many possible routes. May just wing it but i'll see when i'm there if no one more local has any suggestions. We're off down Port Eynon (the usual place really), so quite a big hill to start with but as long as it's dry it'll just be nice to get out on the bike. :smile:

Thanks, yes i've seen the map and registered but as you say i don't think it's as widely used as it could be, but hopefully there'll be a few more people that will see this thread as well.

Camped at Port Eynon loads of times. Great site but can get crowded. Say hello to Mike for us ( big guy sits by the gate drives tractor etc.

Dont do same rides all the time though quite often ride Barry to Llandough along Pen y Turnpike road then along Penarth road/ Hadfield road then over Leckwith Hill/ Penyturnpike again to St Andrews and back to Barry.Would be good to meet up somewhere for a ride if your up for it. I am not a speed merchant , just like to enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Camped at Port Eynon loads of times. Great site but can get crowded. Say hello to Mike for us ( big guy sits by the gate drives tractor etc.

Dont do same rides all the time though quite often ride Barry to Llandough along Pen y Turnpike road then along Penarth road/ Hadfield road then over Leckwith Hill/ Penyturnpike again to St Andrews and back to Barry.Would be good to meet up somewhere for a ride if your up for it. I am not a speed merchant , just like to enjoy the ride.

Luckily we're in a caravan so no worries with the crowds and people have started to go back home with the new school term imminent so it's getting quieter and quieter :biggrin:

Longest i've done is just under 20 miles so far so i need quite a bit more practice before i can do any decent distances, but i know getting off the mtb onto a road bike will really help with the miles though i'm definitely up for meeting up at sone point - likewise i'm out to enjoy it and hopefully lose a few pounds along the way. :smile:

Does anyone know of any cycle clubs down the Gower way? - Did my first ride down here today - circular route of 9.6 miles and i caught up with a small group just past Scurlage and they stopped in the local cafe just past knelston then. Gave a quick wave and hello to the chaps outside when i went past. (Only a few had club jersey's - white with a patch of colours across them is the best i can describe it)

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Marc.lice in Bridgend, work in Caerphilly, commute visa train/Brompton, often use the Taff Trail instead of train for Caerphilly/ Cardiff leg, and once/twice a week divert via Rumney on way home.
Apart from that bimble around Bridgend/Vale/Valleys on my Ridgeback Voyage or Lemond Nevada City. CTC member and past member of Ogmore Valley Wheelers. Start line manager for the Wiggle Dragon Ride.

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I suspect that could have Bynea club. Larders may have been out for a spin.

Judging from some of the pictures on their site, that could well have been the jersey's i saw this morning! Quite a trek they must have done by the time i saw them though! :eek:

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Marc.lice in Bridgend, work in Caerphilly, commute visa train/Brompton, often use the Taff Trail instead of train for Caerphilly/ Cardiff leg, and once/twice a week divert via Rumney on way home.
Apart from that bimble around Bridgend/Vale/Valleys on my Ridgeback Voyage or Lemond Nevada City. CTC member and past member of Ogmore Valley Wheelers. Start line manager for the Wiggle Dragon Ride.

Thanks for posting - what time of day are you on the taff trail and between what points? I tend to be on there from Radyr to Cardiff Bay but before 7am.

As quite a newbie to cycling - Is it worth joining the CTC would you say?

Not mine is it?

Not unless you're really called Dave? ;)

Congrats if you're wedding is next saturday too though.

Little yellow Brompton

Thanks for posting - what time of day are you on the taff trail and between what points? I tend to be on there from Radyr to Cardiff Bay but before 7am.

As quite a newbie to cycling - Is it worth joining the CTC would you say?

Not unless you're really called Dave? ;)

Congrats if you're wedding is next saturday too though.

CTC, yes no maybe...

You get a free magazine and insurance and the legal cover is worth having for when/if you get twatted off , it's a voice for cycling, there are lots of politics involved, it seems to be run by wrinklies.... your choice.

I joined , then forgot to renew , then got twatted off, phoned the help line and they swapped 5 yrs membership for access to the legal cover... I was pleased with the result.

If I decide to Taff Trailit, in the morning I leave Cardiff Central at about 7:00 , in the afternoon I join it at about 16:50.

Not Dave , but am getting marrie next Saturday

lukesdad

Best wishes for next weekend LYB. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
CTC, yes no maybe...

You get a free magazine and insurance and the legal cover is worth having for when/if you get twatted off , it's a voice for cycling, there are lots of politics involved, it seems to be run by wrinklies.... your choice.

I joined , then forgot to renew , then got twatted off, phoned the help line and they swapped 5 yrs membership for access to the legal cover... I was pleased with the result.

If I decide to Taff Trailit, in the morning I leave Cardiff Central at about 7:00 , in the afternoon I join it at about 16:50.

Not Dave , but am getting marrie next Saturday

Cheers for the info.

I normally aim to be in work by 7 and don't leave until approx 5.30 but i might bump into you one day on the trail.

Very best wishes for next saturday! :thumbsup:

Little yellow Brompton

voyagecastle.jpg party me.JPG Brompton in snow.JPG
Cheers for the info.

I normally aim to be in work by 7 and don't leave until approx 5.30 but i might bump into you one day on the trail.

Very best wishes for next saturday! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much!

If I;m on the taff trail I'm normally bimbling home, so don't be afraid to stop me, for a chat/pint. I will be riding this voyagecastle.jpg or this Brompton in snow.JPG and I look like this! party me.JPG

john.ump

Regular
Thought I'd add myself to the South Wales list.

Still a raw newbie to road cycling building up to around 30 miles on a Sunday so far. I'm from the Bridgend area and pedalling around the Vale lanes/A48 region at a modest (slow!) pace but looking to expand my horizons. May pluck up the courage to join a local club if my skills and pace increase.

Cheers.

Top Bottom