South Wales Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Hi guys

There seems to be a growing number of us on here now, judging from the Welcome Mat at least, and i thought it might be useful to have some sort of list with locations. I'm also after some advice on routes around where i live and i'm off down the Gower next week, so some local knowledge would also be great.

Name - Gaz
Location - Pontyclun
Bike - Specialized Hardrock Pro mtb
Area - Commute into Cardiff, but leisure/fitness around Pontyclun, Pencoed, Cowbridge at the moment. Looking to expand and hoping to get a road bike in the near future.

I'm off down the Gower for a week with the family on saturday and taking the bike this time and so if anyone is local there and can suggest some small (ish) 10-15 mile routes that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Gaz

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi Gaz I am in Barry, ride around the Vale /Cardiff /Bridgend arera usually. have a good time down the Gower ,some surprisingly big hills there. We camped at Clyne Valley farm a few weeks ago, kind of perched on top of Gowers version of Everest, great views but a sweaty ride back from the pub. :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You might not have spotted the Member Map? TBH, it isn't used as much as it should be, but you should add yourself to it if you haven't done so already. (There is a link for it in the menu bar above, top right, or use this link.)

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Hi Gaz I am in Barry, ride around the Vale /Cardiff /Bridgend arera usually. have a good time down the Gower ,some surprisingly big hills there. We camped at Clyne Valley farm a few weeks ago, kind of perched on top of Gowers version of Everest, great views but a sweaty ride back from the pub. :biggrin:

Hello!, good to meet you and thanks. Do you have a set route(s) you normally do? Yeah, driven round the Gower area quite a bit and it's proving difficult to avoid most of the big hills on many possible routes. May just wing it but i'll see when i'm there if no one more local has any suggestions. We're off down Port Eynon (the usual place really), so quite a big hill to start with but as long as it's dry it'll just be nice to get out on the bike. :smile:

You might not have spotted the Member Map? TBH, it isn't used as much as it should be, but you should add yourself to it if you haven't done so already. (There is a link for it in the menu bar above, top right, or use this link.)

Thanks, yes i've seen the map and registered but as you say i don't think it's as widely used as it could be, but hopefully there'll be a few more people that will see this thread as well.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hi guys

There seems to be a growing number of us on here now, judging from the Welcome Mat at least, and i thought it might be useful to have some sort of list with locations. I'm also after some advice on routes around where i live and i'm off down the Gower next week, so some local knowledge would also be great.

Name - Gaz
Location - Pontyclun
Bike - Specialized Hardrock Pro mtb
Area - Commute into Cardiff, but leisure/fitness around Pontyclun, Pencoed, Cowbridge at the moment. Looking to expand and hoping to get a road bike in the near future.

I'm off down the Gower for a week with the family on saturday and taking the bike this time and so if anyone is local there and can suggest some small (ish) 10-15 mile routes that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Gaz

Hello Gaz. I'm from down that way. Is it off-road routes you're after?

lukesdad

I have a list of south and west wales members that needs updating. I usually try and pm peeps on it of anything interesting ( rides usually ) that may be comming up. If any body wants to add themselves to it just PM me.

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Hello Gaz. I'm from down that way. Is it off-road routes you're after?

Hi, no road really please. (Always interested if there are off road ones), but i've got road tyres on my hardtail which i'm currently using on the road to keep working at my fitness and as much as i know the roads around the Gower, it's trying to put them into maybe a few different routes at different lengths - starting and finishing at Port Eynon. (and ideally avoiding the bigger hills around three cliffs IIRC)

I have a list of south and west wales members that needs updating. I usually try and pm peeps on it of anything interesting ( rides usually ) that may be comming up. If any body wants to add themselves to it just PM me.

Is it worth posting the list up? - I'm hoping this thread will be used by other newbies looking for fellow members for advice/meeting up and so on... like i was. :whistle:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hi, no road really please. (Always interested if there are off road ones), but i've got road tyres on my hardtail which i'm currently using on the road to keep working at my fitness and as much as i know the roads around the Gower, it's trying to put them into maybe a few different routes at different lengths - starting and finishing at Port Eynon. (and ideally avoiding the bigger hills around three cliffs IIRC)

There's a fairly respectable climb out of Port Eynon in the first place. But you're right about the climbs up from Oxwich - there are a couple of horrors. If you do find yourself down at Oxwich (and the marsh there is lovely to cycle along on a misty morning or evening) the least painful way up is this one, which brings you almost back home.

My first choice from there for a sub-20-mile on-road loop would be this, anticlockwise. Other than Port Eynon, there are two significant climbs - a bit of a drag through Reynoldston up over the ridge called Cefn Bryn, and a sharp uphill South from the Britannia Inn (worth a stop, especially on a sunny evening) at Llanmadoc. Both are rewarded with great descents, the stupendous hurtle down from Cefn Bryn to Cilibion being the perfect stretch to go for your downhill record. Once you're over the climb out of Llanmadoc it's downhill or flat as a rug all the way home.

This is your flat exit to North Gower, and a perfect cycling road it is too. This (signposted Gower Heritage Centre from the S Gower Road) is another useful, flat connection between S & N, if you don't mind rustic sufaces and having to faff about with a couple of gates. The couple of fields at the northern end of it are not a right of way for cyclists despite being perfectly suitable, but you can get off and walk if this bothers you.

The Cilonnen Road is one not to be missed, and although really it's best ridden E to W, I'll advise you otherwise from your starting point. It's a wide road along a ridge with fantastic views to both sides, very little traffic, and no terribly challenging climbs. You could then treat yourself to this wonderful, fast, swoopy descent, and link it up via the B4295 with the beautiful (and flat) Marsh Road from Crofty back to Llanrhidian (note: it floods on very high tides). There's a short but rather sharp climb out of Llanrhidian, which you could always put off for a bit by stopping for a pint at the Dolphin. This is probably your best route back from Llanrhidian.

I've not really mentioned the rest of South Gower much because it's quite inaccessible without spending a lot of time on the South Gower road - this is quite nice if you're the more assertive sort of road cyclist, but lots of people don't like it at all. As for other connecting roads, this road should be ridden strictly N to S unless you're a masochist, but don't do this one from N to S if you can help it. This (in either direction) is one of my favourite roads when in the mood to add on a couple of gratuitous scenic miles.

Rhossili and Llangennith are worth a visit, but are both dead-ends unless you go off-road. And I know we're still talking about on-road routes, but as you have an mtb it's a shame not to go along Cefn Bryn ridge for the views. From the car park at the top of the ridge just N of the King Arthur Hotel in Reynoldston there's a bridleway that climbs relatively gently heading E along the ridge. Another thing to note when further afield is that there's a very useful flattish cycle path (former railway) that runs from Blackpill on Swansea Bay all the way to Gowerton, and you can pick it up at the Railway Inn in Killay or at Dunvant - it's the minimum-effort way of getting to any of the three main Gower roads from the Bay.

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Hello and welcome from the Valleys (Cynon to be precise). I often ride to Cardiff Bay and have done some of the Gower coast.

Good to meet you! Cool, my daily commute is down to Cardiff Bay and i'm hoping to spend some time down the Gower next week. :thumbsup:

There's a fairly respectable climb out of Port Eynon in the first place. But you're right about the climbs up from Oxwich - there are a couple of horrors. If you do find yourself down at Oxwich (and the marsh there is lovely to cycle along on a misty morning or evening) the least painful way up is this one, which brings you almost back home.

My first choice from there for a sub-20-mile on-road loop would be this, anticlockwise. Other than Port Eynon, there are two significant climbs - a bit of a drag through Reynoldston up over the ridge called Cefn Bryn, and a sharp uphill South from the Britannia Inn (worth a stop, especially on a sunny evening) at Llanmadoc. Both are rewarded with great descents, the stupendous hurtle down from Cefn Bryn to Cilibion being the perfect stretch to go for your downhill record. Once you're over the climb out of Llanmadoc it's downhill or flat as a rug all the way home.

This is your flat exit to North Gower, and a perfect cycling road it is too. This (signposted Gower Heritage Centre from the S Gower Road) is another useful, flat connection between S & N, if you don't mind rustic sufaces and having to faff about with a couple of gates. The couple of fields at the northern end of it are not a right of way for cyclists despite being perfectly suitable, but you can get off and walk if this bothers you.

The Cilonnen Road is one not to be missed, and although really it's best ridden E to W, I'll advise you otherwise from your starting point. It's a wide road along a ridge with fantastic views to both sides, very little traffic, and no terribly challenging climbs. You could then treat yourself to this wonderful, fast, swoopy descent, and link it up via the B4295 with the beautiful (and flat) Marsh Road from Crofty back to Llanrhidian (note: it floods on very high tides). There's a short but rather sharp climb out of Llanrhidian, which you could always put off for a bit by stopping for a pint at the Dolphin. This is probably your best route back from Llanrhidian.

I've not really mentioned the rest of South Gower much because it's quite inaccessible without spending a lot of time on the South Gower road - this is quite nice if you're the more assertive sort of road cyclist, but lots of people don't like it at all. As for other connecting roads, this road should be ridden strictly N to S unless you're a masochist, but don't do this one from N to S if you can help it. This (in either direction) is one of my favourite roads when in the mood to add on a couple of gratuitous scenic miles.

Rhossili and Llangennith are worth a visit, but are both dead-ends unless you go off-road. And I know we're still talking about on-road routes, but as you have an mtb it's a shame not to go along Cefn Bryn ridge for the views. From the car park at the top of the ridge just N of the King Arthur Hotel in Reynoldston there's a bridleway that climbs relatively gently heading E along the ridge. Another thing to note when further afield is that there's a very useful flattish cycle path (former railway) that runs from Blackpill on Swansea Bay all the way to Gowerton, and you can pick it up at the Railway Inn in Killay or at Dunvant - it's the minimum-effort way of getting to any of the three main Gower roads from the Bay.

Wow!!, thank you so much for all that information! I've regularly travlelled from Port Eynon past the King Arthur back to Killay and the other way past Penclawdd and Gowerton and also the Oxwich road to three cliffs/caswell bay etc, but doing it on a bike is clearly a very different thing.

I did have one idea for my first ride to do Rhossilli and back, but it's only 10 miles so i was going to put a trip to Reynoldston in to make it a bit longer just to start me off. Today's ride of nearly 20 miles is the longest i've done in one go yet, so i'll be looking to carry that on and get more used to the distance and to avoid burning myself out too soon. I'lll have to sit down and see if i can work out the different routes above but that's a lot of really helpful advice which is greatly appreciated! Many thanks. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
:biggrin: It's a small peninsula - one admittedly lengthy post covers quite a lot of it, so I can put a sock in it thereafter. Oh, and the Gower Cycling Festival is almost upon us! 10-17 September this year, in case you fancy it...

Unfortunately i've not really planned it very well for the Gower Cycling Festival as well this year - return home on the 10th and i have a wedding party that night so i can't really stay on, however by this time next year i'll have a lot more experience and miles under my belt (hopefully) so it'll definitely be on my list for next year. :smile:

Top Bottom