Southampton cyclists - your help needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Many of you may not be aware but a local contraflow cycle lane is threatened with closure to allow 2-way HGV and tipper lorry access. Second Avenue is hardly ideal but mixing on this road with such vehicles might be problematic.

Here is the road in question:

http://goo.gl/maps/7wdAq

Usually larger vehicles will turn off Redbridge road (parallel to Second Avenue) and rejoin the A33 HERE. As far as I can see theres little problem with HGV and lorry access, even with the new development along there.

Councilor Andrew Pope has lodged a formal objection to the proposed changes and is asking for local riders (and non-local riders that use this route) to email him with a statement of how this would affect them. You can also email in that the cycle lane could be invested in and repaired to a Dutch standard (there is space via the hedges), too.

You can contact Cllr Pope via his email HERE ..it doesnt matter if you support Labour - what matters is to raise concern at changes that could affect hundreds of cyclists (indeed encourage many new ones if they fix it!).

Cheers if you can help!

Maylian

Veteran
Will send an email to him later today, use that road semi frequently even though (as you say) the road is horribly surfaces currently.

I'm onto it, will send an email off soon. There's been too many deaths over the years in Southampton and frankly the roads around there are bloody dangerous enough already.

Stan_Smith_American_Dad.jpg

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Thanks peeps! I know a couple of twitter peeps have also sent in correspondence. I hope that its enough for change to the better.

Top Bottom