FNRttC Southend on Sea Night Ride Thursday 24th March 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
As mentioned on the SLR thred TC2 still doesn't believe the no underpants rule and thinks i'm winding him up, you should have seen his face when he sat down on the train.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As mentioned on the SLR thred TC2 still doesn't believe the no underpants rule and thinks i'm winding him up, you should have seen his face when he sat down on the train.
I did that once- thankfully I got the message afterwards!!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
the "light" version is not too bad, I find the full-blooded one good for cold weather walking but too thick for cycling.

Peterse12

Hi @Peterse12 I rode with you at the end, we chatted a lot. You'l find now you've done one FNRttC the mental barrier has gone and they get easier and more fun. You obviously have the mindset to achieve these. Hope to see you - maybe on Whitstable?
I should be going to Whitstable. At least I'll know where on earth I am down there as I cycle in that part of the world a bit. The Brompton is definitely more comfortable that my other bike, and it's got good lights, and I can carry stuff. Sounds like a winner!!!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Current plans are that I can't do Whitstable but might pop up to London for a coffee at Victoria and then a chat at the start then go home as i need to be up early, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, the next morning.

StuAff

All the rides and dates are on our website. :okay:

The Whitstable ride is 22nd April. It is not yet open for registration -- any day now! Watch the website. Or sign up for our newsletter for announcements, news and details.
Shorter notice than usual, not that it's a problem.
(I've already made plans for the next Whitstable one in August, let alone this one...). :smile:

In other news, I finally got around to dismantling my rear wheel. Anyone riding towards the rear of the ride might have noticed a "smidgeon" of noise emanating from my wheel. This started about 12 miles before the end and at times got worse, with more grinding, so I had been making sure I wasn't going fast over bumps and trying to eke out its lifespan to avoid a catastrophic failure in the wilds of Essex.

The technical explanation is that the freehub body is knackered. The wheel has done somewhere in between 5-10,000 miles. However, it's not my usual bike as I'd only ridden that one about once in the last 2 years, and then not since 2011 for my Durness to Dover jaunt. So I've bunged a spare freehub on and put it away. Best bike for Whitstable I think.

StuAff

Whitstable deserves the best bike methinks.
Yes it does. Not sure if I'll use best bike or other best bike yet. August will likely be best folding bike, for (Saturday) overnight storage as I'll be doing the gig/staying in smoke combo again.

It's been a while since the ride, but maybe my blog will take you back to that great night ride to Southend.
Thanks to everybody for making this a great adventure. Thanks Titus and TECs!

MyBlog
MyPhotos

IMG_4932.jpg

IMG_4904.JPG

Top Bottom