Sovereign Citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
First an explanation of who they are:
The sovereign citizen movement (also SovCit movement or SovCits)[1] is a loose group of litigants, anti-government activists, tax protesters, financial scammers, and conspiracy theorists based mainly in the United States. Sovereign citizens have their own pseudolegal belief system based on misinterpretations of common law and claim to not be subject to any government statutes, unless they consent to them.[2][3] The movement, which appeared in the early 1970s, is American in origin and exists primarily in the United States, though it has expanded to other countries: the similar freeman on the land movement emerged during the 2000s in Canada before spreading to other Commonwealth countries.[4] The FBI describes sovereign citizens as "anti-government extremists who believe that even though they physically reside in this country, they are separate or 'sovereign' from the United States".

Although this is mainly in the US there is a movement in the UK too. It's used mainly to avoid paying road tax, having a licence, registration, road tax and insurance.

I've been watch a few of the videos on YouTube with footage from traffic stops. Strangely there's a Brit posting these (from Yorkshire?) . It's very amusing seeing the drivers claim they are 'travelling not driving' . They always end up going too jail as the officers won't put up with their ridiculous claims. Could this catch on in the UK or is it just the Americans who are too stupid to realise they can't get away with it?

View: https://youtu.be/VaE91h8BedY?si=M2VXIu3Z0AlotXVi

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Its an old one but I like the video of a Glasgow cop who drags the guy out the window at the first mention of sovereign citizen.

All uphill

Still rolling along
This kind of thing has been around for years. I was in court (in the UK) when a defendant said they did not recognise the authority of the court because, because, because. They successfully argued their way into a contempt of court conviction.

That was years ago.

Drago

Legendary Member
We have them here, Freeman on the Land.

Occasionally we'd arrest one of them and they'd haughtily tell us that the laws of the land did not apply to them as they had not consented to them. I often wondered if they still thought the same as the cell door slammed shut and Big Bubba said, "hello."

I don't think our own lot are violent, at least only individually maybe, but it's more a case of chancers latching on to the idea in order to, as you say, try and avoid paying their way through life.

There's was a freeman of the... on another outdoors forum once. He, assuming male, was spouting his arguments as fact and got debated with, put in his place or ridiculed. He still thought he'd won the arguments but still disappeared when ppl stopped engaging with him after awhile.

There's a lot of ppl around with alternative ideas that often have no affiliation with truth, facts or evidence. If you're convinced black is white, day is night, right is wrong then you often can't be dealt with on an evidence basis. Otherwise known at no arguing with them! Indeed in some cases it's an unhealthy delusion if you ask me.

Can I just point out that until I get my reading glasses drago's avatar makes me think he's got the old fashioned police helmet on and is a naked, hairy individual. I just wonder how far he'd get on duty in a grill suit, assuming he actually needs the suit of course.

Sorry for the digression.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Nah - it's BigFoot

@Drago is Bigfoot? Wow! 😳

Nutters, all of them, along with so called 'Auditors' that stand around filming things because they can. Oh and I'll add people that give TV Licence inspectors abuse then post it online - it's all for drama and attention! 🤷‍♀️

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nutters, all of them, along with so called 'Auditors' that stand around filming things because they can. Oh and I'll add people that give TV Licence inspectors abuse then post it online - it's all for drama and attention! 🤷‍♀️
That's right those 'auditors' are so stupid. They know they are annoying the people they're filming and get all indignant when they get argumentative. It's like that Monty Python sketch where guy asks for an argument.

That's right those 'auditors' are so stupid. They know they are annoying the people they're filming and get all indignant when they get argumentative. It's like that Monty Python sketch where guy asks for an argument.

I've seen a handful of those audit videos where the person filming was right to do so, every other time they are just been antagonistic. I'm not sure if its a modern thing, but I've got a theory its to do with the rise of sharing videos - people just want attention and the people that like this sort of video are heavily into it. Its all about the likes, shares and subscribes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom