Spécialités TA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
TA cranksets of this type, similar to Stronglight 49D, are sought after for retro builds, and because of the small BCD. They are prone to failure as they get brittle with age, and early Alu was not as good as now. Be aware that the threading is a different pitch to all others, so require a specific TA extractor - not a Stronglight extractor which is different again (usually available on eBay). New TA components are distributed by Chicken Cycles. TA is still independent, not part of Stronglight.
Thanks for that info. Maybe l should offer them fo sale because my area of interest is in French bikes of the 1990's ie. Vitus and TVT so not much use to me !

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Maybe l should offer them fo sale

What length are they? I might be tempted if they're 165mm, though I've got a perfectly good set on the only relevant bike, and they won't suit fantasy n+1.

Smart move, how did you know that they would fit ?
By the bolt circle diameter and number of holes. TA make chainrings to fit most of the BCD/holes arrangements. I use their 110mm BCD five hole Zephyr chainrings on a Shimano Ultegra crankset. They are of very high quality. I have some Zephyr chainrings for a Super record crankset and they are better finished than the Campagnolo OEM ones.

IMG_20190112_141006.jpg
I was wrong. I have found out that some people fitted Stronglight chainrings on to TA cranks which confused me.
These came off a Stronglight 49D originally but have been fitted to a TA Pro 5 crankset as well. The Stronglight 49D cranks are made from a particularly 'orrible alloy that is prone to flaking rather than just oxidising.
IMG_20190112_141023.jpg

The 110mm BCD ring has the packaging behind which shows the BCD sizes available .

Last edited:
TA cranksets of this type, similar to Stronglight 49D, are sought after for retro builds, and because of the small BCD. They are prone to failure as they get brittle with age, and early Alu was not as good as now. Be aware that the threading is a different pitch to all others, so require a specific TA extractor - not a Stronglight extractor which is different again (usually available on eBay). New TA components are distributed by Chicken Cycles. TA is still independent, not part of Stronglight.
When I dug the 49D rings out to photograph to put on here I found a pair of TA self extracting crank arm bolts, they work a treat*. I hope this link is not spammy: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s173p1272/SPECIALITES-T-A-Self-Extracting-Crank-Bolts
they work a treat*BUT NOT FOR THE OLDER CRANKS!

Last edited:

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
I think you have the older type Cyclotouriste cranks. As Spa say, the self-extractors won't work. They fit in, but not tight enough, so if you exert pressure to release they will strip the crank thread.
A good old-school LBS will have a TA extractor.

Blurb says for newer cranks only, I wonder what size they are as the older TA stuff is 23mm I think
Well spotted! For the sake of anyone visiting this thread I hauled the parts out. Old Spécialités TA is 23mmx1mm pitch. Sheldon Brown site says Stronglight used to be 23.35mm but the TA extractor works very well in both marques. "To service a T.A. crankset, you need a T.A. puller. For Stronglight, you should really use a Stronglight puller, but the T.A. is usable with care (although it fits a bit more loosely than it should. If the crank starts to get hard to pull off, quit before you strip the threads)" (courtesy of Sheldon Brown)
Newer TA is 22mmx1. I'll edit my previous to reflect this. The extractor in the lower pic is for old TA/Stronglight, the blue self extractor part is for the newer cranks (square taper at least).
IMG_20190114_150140.jpg
IMG_20190114_150415.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom