Spa Nidd saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Like a lot of people, finding the right saddle has been a bit hit and miss for me. Having replaced the Charge Spoon on my Raleigh with a Brooks B17 this year, I found that although the Brooks wasn't perfect I could happily get on with it on rides up to 100 miles (furthest I've gone so far) which would have been impossible for me on the Spoon.

Thoughts then turned to the knockabout bike as I'd like to be able to do some longer rides through the winter as the Raleigh has gone into hibernation. A Brooks was out of the question for this bike due to the cost, but a leather saddle was desirable, so I decided to try the Nidd from Spa Cycles. (£35 plus postage at the time of writing)

I ordered one in honey and was pleased that it arrived quicker than estimated. First impression was that it is clearly copying the B17, right down to the shape of the spanner for adjusting the tension of the leather. (This incidentally is a slightly different size to the Brooks one and is not interchangeable.) However, the leather used is thicker than the Brooks and the standard of finish is different. It looks machine made rather than hand made, which it probably is.

Another difference is that the side flaps are laced together on the Nidd. A spare set of laces was supplied with the tools.

DSC02141.JPG

First ride - looking smart.

Once fitted I headed out for the first test ride. For the first mile I found the saddle incredibly firm, however it did feel better once I'd gone a bit further.

Before the second ride I had a look at the adjustments. The leather was set fairly taut from the factory and the lacing was also tight. I backed off the tension half a turn and loosened the laces and it gives a much more supple ride. One nice thing is that the leather isn't as slippy as the Brooks is from new, so it's easier to stay in a comfy position once you've found it.

At the time of writing I have done just over 175 miles on the saddle with 33 miles as the longest single ride so far. The saddle is still very firm and will I suspect take a while to properly break in, especially with the thicker leather, but I am already more comfortable than I've been on the Spoon and it has the advantages of leather that I like: not sweaty like a plastic saddle and easier to find a comfy position for the longer rides.

Problems: Only one really, which is that after 175 miles the dye is coming off the surface and making the leather look worn:
DSC02237.JPG

It doesn't appear to be affecting the leather itself so I'm not that bothered about a bit of patina, but it has come on sooner than I expected.

Worth the money?: Yes. I think that if you want a leather saddle this has to be worth considering.

Worth spending the extra on a Brooks? Yes in my opinion. Time will tell, but my impressions of owning both at this point is that the Brooks is better made and is a little lighter so is worth it if you have the budget.

Last edited:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Great report ! I was thinking of one of these saddles for my MTB because I do not want to spend Brooks money on this bike. Like you I have a B17 on my Hybrid and can confirm it is great for mega long rides.

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've done my first 50 miler on the new saddle today which also brings the mileage done on it to date just over 500 miles, so thought it was about time for an update.

The 50 miler didn't go too badly but at around the 40 mile mark I started to suffer a bit with the saddle being so firm. A stop for a break and a reduction of the tension by another quarter of a turn helped and I was able to get on okay with it for the remaining 10 miles. This is what I like about a leather saddle compared to a plastic one - there is the option to tweek it to suit.^_^ I suspect I may be sore tomorrow, but think that the next ride of this or greater distance will probably be better.

As the leather starts to shape to me and is polished by my bum, I'm finding I am starting to slip about slightly like on the Brooks (although not to the same extent). Oh well, easier to adjust between the two I suppose.:rolleyes:

The worn look of the saddle is more pronounced now:
DSC02384.JPG

Of particular interest are the additional speckles that have appeared around the broad part of the saddle since the last photo. I was caught out in the rain a few times in December and those speckles are where the "waterproof" coating has blistered. Again, it doesn't appear to be affecting the leather underneath, apart from the fact it's no longer waterproof.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Interesting. I've got B17s on a number of my bikes. I bought a Nidd to go on our tandem.

It soon came off the tandem, as that only gets used for long rides and the Nidd was too hard - way harder than any of the B17s I've ever had. It's now on my get-to-work bike, which I only ever ride for half an hour at a time (that's how long it takes to get to work) - I can bear it for that long!

I never actually thought of loosening the Nidd. I'll try that and see if it introduces a bit more give - I could use a bit more.

Mine's black, has been used in the rain (and left out in the rain) numerous times and seems invulnerable. No dents, no dye coming off, nothing. It's two years old and looks like new.

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Mine's black, has been used in the rain (and left out in the rain) numerous times and seems invulnerable. No dents, no dye coming off, nothing. It's two years old and looks like new.
I wonder if the black dyes are inherently more stable as I'm sure I've seen comments about the black Brooks saddles keeping their looks/water resistance better than the other colours too.

I went for honey because I liked the look of my Brooks in that colour, however if I was ordering another Nidd I think I'd pick black as I think it would suit this bike better.

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Time for another update I think.

I've now done 850 miles since fitting and as of yesterday that includes two metric century rides. Loosening the leather did help but for me this saddle is definitely not as comfortable as the Brooks on the longer rides. It's afterwards that I notice the difference most - the sit bones feel rather delicate this morning.:blush: Still much better than the plastic saddles though.:thumbsup:

The patina continues to develop but not perhaps as speedily as it did initially. It makes it look as though I've had the saddle for years.:laugh: Slight indentations where the sit bones go are becoming visible too.

Impressions at this point are that I'm still impressed with the Nidd as a £35 saddle but I am now convinced that a B17 is worth the extra money.

Last edited:

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
^^^^^
''..Impressions at this point are that I'm still impressed with the Nidd as a £35 saddle but I am now convinced that a B17 is worth the extra money...''

been following your reports ............:thumbsup:

a new £75 B17 is too much to justify [on a pension] as a replacement for my Peugeot - yet i like the idea of leather on a mid-80s bike
presently have a 138mm wide Bontrager Affinity ... and a sore bum after 20miles
BontragerAffinity_zps09ed538b.jpg
now in mid-2014 would you still say the Nidd was a good VFM item

thanks...john

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've put a good few hundred miles on a Spa Wharfe and love it.
It's a hard saddle but after I got caught in the rain on a good 40 mile ride it got better quicker. Mine has started to develop dimples/wrinkles where my sit bones are sat.
I'm about to start building up a new bike and I'm going to put a Nidd on it, if it's 1/2 as good as the Wharfe it'll be great.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
excuse me Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------

thanks jazzkat

what concerns me is the Bontrager at 138mm seems the right width for me

the Nidd is 168mm [ the B17 is 175mm - touring ]
whereas the Wharfe is 151mm,, so I'm now thinking the Nidd maybe too wide

why do you choose a Nidd if the Wharfe suited you..?

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
^^^^^
''..Impressions at this point are that I'm still impressed with the Nidd as a £35 saddle but I am now convinced that a B17 is worth the extra money...''

been following your reports ............:thumbsup:

a new £75 B17 is too much to justify [on a pension] as a replacement for my Peugeot - yet i like the idea of leather on a mid-80s bike
presently have a 138mm wide Bontrager Affinity ... and a sore bum after 20miles
BontragerAffinity_zps09ed538b.jpg
now in mid-2014 would you still say the Nidd was a good VFM item

thanks...john
It's been a while hasn't it.:blush:

The short answer is that yes, I still think that the Nidd is a decent saddle for £35 but that you won't regret spending the extra if getting the B17.

The longer answer is that I've done plenty more long rides since the last update as I'm having a go at the metric century a month challenge this year and I've done just over 1700 miles from fitting to now. The Nidd continues to shed its layer of colour and has quite a "lived in" look now. I've replaced the waterproofing using Nikwax's Leather Wax which seems okay so far, though I have yet to be caught out in any serious rain since applying.

The B17 on the other hand still looks very smart after 2000 miles although a slightly darker shade than when new and with the odd mark that shows it's been used.
I think that 60 miles is about the limit for me on the Nidd so I use the other bike for my longer rides, however it does seem to be softening so I might give it another go on a longer ride at some point.

As the weather has warmed up and the rides get quicker I'm finding that I'm not quite happy with the set up on both saddles. (You might notice regular mentions of tinkering with the adjustment in my ride reports). I'll continue to try and get the set up just so, but find myself wondering if a narrower saddle might suit me better for this kind of ride.

Last edited:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
excuse me Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------

thanks jazzkat

what concerns me is the Bontrager at 138mm seems the right width for me

the Nidd is 168mm [ the B17 is 175mm - touring ]
whereas the Wharfe is 151mm,, so I'm now thinking the Nidd maybe too wide

why do you choose a Nidd if the Wharfe suited you..?
To be honest I bought the Wharfe for it's looks:shy: It's on a more 'sporting' bike.
I've a B17 on my tourer which is very comfy, but has become very misshapen as a combination of me sitting on it and it getting wet. I don't think it will last as long as the spa saddle, the leather seems thicker and more robust than the Brooks. Of course it's also a lot cheaper.

I'm hoping that a Nidd will be as comfy as the B17 but be more long lasting and at such a comparative cheap price it's got to be worth a punt.
But you've got me wondering now......:wacko:

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I didn't have any recent photos of the saddle when writing my update yesterday. This is how the wear is coming along now:
DSC0001334.jpg

It wasn't 'til looking back at this thread I realised how much it had faded since the start of the year.

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've compared the Nidd to the B17 a lot on this thread so it's only fair I show you exactly what I'm comparing it to:
DSC0001344.jpg

As already mentioned upthread the B17 has covered 2000 miles and is 16 months old at the time of writing while the Nidd has done 1700 miles (in all weathers to be fair) and is 8 months old.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Wow, that's a big difference.
I'd have expected the saddle to go darker not lighter. It could be the pic (or more likely my monitor!) but the nidd looks almost white!

Top Bottom