Spa Ti Audax - anyone using a disc fork?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'll summarise the answer for you as follows:
1) Yes, you can fit disc brake fork and a disk brake up front. There are no structural issues with the bike (any bike) that prevent this.
2) The fork that you find will have big fat blades compared to your current skinny blades. This is to prevent fork flex at the lower part of the fork just above the brake itself.
3) A disc brake develops an ejection force on the drop-out. This isn't a problem because the fork you buy will definitely have "lawyers lips" on the end of the drop-out to prevent the QR from sliding down and out. But, your QR should still be a good quality one and it should be tight.
4) A mechanical disc brake is the worst of both worlds. It will not be an upgrade. Get hydraulic or leave things as is.
5) On a road bike you can get away with a disc as small as 140mm provided you use the new Shimano Freeza disc. This disc is an aluminium/stainless steel sandwich with cooling fins. If you don't want this, use a 160mm disc up front.
6) If your current brakes are good quality and in good condition, you won't experience better braking with the disc. You may experience a bit better braking control (called modulation by bike magazines) and a better feel.
7) Your handlebar setup may look a bit strange but if you have late model Shimano road shifters up front, you could buy just the one lever in a hydraulic version. That will give you similar looks. However, I suspect that the hydraulic version is also electronic. Start your research here, rather than at the fork. The fork may well be moot if you can't find the right handlebar options.
8) You will have to get a new front wheel.
Obviously your not in the know as much as you think

Point 7 - shimano hydraulic brakes now come in a non-electronic model

But please if you will in future, stick to the original OP rather than trying to prove others wrong in every thread you post in........its rather annoying

Obviously your not in the know as much as you think

Point 7 - shimano hydraulic brakes now come in a non-electronic model

But please if you will in future, stick to the original OP rather than trying to prove others wrong in every thread you post in........its rather annoying
I suggest you ignore my posts. Goodbye.

OP
OP
Trull

Trull

Über Member
Jeezo, that was almost as much fun as helmet threads… anyway, it does not sound like anyone has fitted disc brake to a Spa Ti Audax frame. In the mean time I've contacted Habanero as they offer a heavier duty bike philosophy and their pricing is nice. Thanks for the info around the subject, but if I wanted a shouty thread I'd have gone to yet another… :-)

Top Bottom