Spanish for bike components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Possibly bizarre question but does anyone know of any entry level guides to bikes and components in Spanish? Essentially looking at Ladybird book level ie images and linked words. Yes I can translate via physical or online dictionaries but have the usual issues re mistranslated or misplaced words ie Lost In Translation. The aim is to be able to identify/talk in a bike shop or with a mechanic if I should ride locally in Spain: ie. To not sound a British numpty.

AndyRM

XOXO
This is a pretty good starting point:

https://www.spanish.academy/blog/cycling-terminology-100-words-to-describe-your-bike-in-spanish/

Depending on how rural you are going, conversational Spanish will be your best friend.

OP
OP
C

carlislemike

Regular
Gracias Andy. Absolutely spot on for me. Now I need to look for other bike related nouns like top tube, down tube, etc.

AndyRM

XOXO
¡De nada!

Tube is "tubo". So top tube would be "tubo superior" and down tube "tubo inferior".

To be honest if you were in a shop you'd be alright pointing at bits and pieces I reckon.

Emanresu

To be honest if you were in a shop you'd be alright pointing at bits and pieces I reckon.

Been in a few Spanish LBS's on my travels and this works for me. Sometimes I go in with canned Google Translate phrases on my phone beforehand but pointing seems to do the job.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Have you considered:

a) Google translate

b) many Spanish people speak English

These are valid options, with certain caveats.

But it’s also worth considering that some people like to make the effort in a foreign country to get things right in the local language. Not only is it greatly appreciated, it can also get you a better response or level of service.

Most of all it’s fun!

AndyRM

XOXO
Have you considered:

a) Google translate

b) many Spanish people speak English

That's why I asked about how rural the OP was going. In the big cities, yes a lot of people are bilingual, but out of them? Not so much.

I went to Orihuela last year, which is about an hour from Alicante so the people I was with went with the "Yeah, they'll speak English, it'll be fine." route.

That didn't go well for them.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Slightly off topic, the British not bothering to learn a bit of language when they're going abroad because "they'll speak English" really bugs me, pure laziness. They're the same people who expect everyone who comes to the UK to speak English and complain when they don't. Top marks @carlislemike for making an effort. :notworthy:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Gracias Andy. Absolutely spot on for me. Now I need to look for other bike related nouns like top tube, down tube, etc.

Here’s a diagram from a useful wiki page on bicycle components in Spanish.

IMG_0437.png

Then there’s the comprehensive dictionary on Sheldon Brown’s site, although this is for Spanish in the Americas (but it would likely still be fully understood).

When do you go and where are you going?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
These are valid options, with certain caveats.

But it’s also worth considering that some people like to make the effort in a foreign country to get things right in the local language. Not only is it greatly appreciated, it can also get you a better response or level of service.

Most of all it’s fun!

Very true.

I lived in Spain for a year, learned to ask for the essentials, ie food and drink, even managed to buy a fan-belt for my car.

My weakness is that I don't take life too seriously.

A very commendable ambition.

A couple of observations.....
Whatever about American Spanish being understood or not (not is my experience) even Spanish Spanish can be quite regional. A word in common usage in the north may be less common in the south, for example.

Something like Amazon can be a useful tool for the international bike traveller. Simply put together a component list and you can access that from anywhere, either to order for yourself or to show the guy/gal in a shop. Copy the details in the .co.uk site and search the .es site.

As has been alluded to, the communication issues may be less about the vocabulary but the language around the vocabulary - are you getting a wheel rebuild with new spokes or the old ones? (Personal experience!)

Anything special/unusual/unique about your bike should be well researched in advance. For example, my bike (until recently) used a 7 speed cassette but I have (always) had to argue against the assumption that what I needed was a freewheel, not a cassette. Understanding the difference between the two terms in various languages has been useful!

Finally, as someone who struggles to describe anything beyond the most basic components in English, I'd suggest being careful of overstretching ourselves in a foreign language. Sometimes we just have to find an expert we can trust and let them do what is needed.

Suerte!

Top Bottom