Spanish Yawn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is not wetting my pants over Spain's football. This from the Guardian's Fiver sums it up -

"If the Fiver appeared on an episode of Mastermind and passed 14 times in a row, everyone would laugh at us for being as thick as 10 short planks. Of course if Andres Iniesta or Xavi Hernandez did it, the same people would be falling over themselves to coo appreciatively before hailing their genius. While you'd have to be a complete philistine to take umbrage with the Spanish football team's masterful technique and skill on the ball, watching their hypnotic death-by-a-thousand-cuts style of tiki-strangulation at this World Cup has been, at times, downright tedious.

But if nothing else, it has helped the Fiver answer the puzzling question of why these fast-talking Iberian folk traditionally don't finish their evening meal until midnight or later. At one Spain team dinner we were privy to, Sergio Busquets asked Iker Casillas to pass the salt at 7pm, but didn't actually get the condiment into his hand until three hours later.

"From defence through to attack, I think we played a great game," ole-ole-oled Spain manager Vicente Del Bosque. "From defence through to attack, then back through to defence, then back through to attack, then back through to defence, then back through to attack, then back through to defence. then back through to attack, then back through to defence, then back through to attack," he could have added, but mercifully didn't.

Del Bosque's midfield metronome Xavi was equally enthused. "We dedicate this victory to Spain. If we play on Sunday like we did today, we will have a great chance," he said, failing to elaborate on whether he meant they'd have a great chance of winning the World Cup, or causing all-out war on the Guardian Sportblog between snobs who think there's something inherently "wrong" with people who don't get a bulge in their trousers watching 11 footballers take 481 passes to move the ball 10 feet sideways, and philistines who think such faffery is all well and good, but would rather more goals and violence.

"Now it is a final against Holland, a great team playing great football with great players in midfield and up front," said Xavi, looking ahead to the final, where pantomime villain Mark van Bommel will almost certainly add to the gaiety of the occasion with his attempts to ensure Spain can't out-pass the Dutch on the left (or right) hand side. Will the Spanish prevail? They've started so they might as well finish."

Rebel Ian

I said the same thing last night after half an hour when I turned the channel over. Spain may well go on and win the tournament but I couldn't be convinced to watch them if you paid me.

johnnyh

Veteran
It depends on how you watch the game. The work rate, positional and support play of the Spain players is fantastic, and this is shown in the way they nullified a free scoring Germany.
If you are watching it for an English style all guns blazing death or glory battle then yes, you are going to be disappointed, but then football is an invasion game and Spain demonstrate very well the principles of attack and defence.

Rebel Ian

It depends on how you watch the game. The work rate, positional and support play of the Spain players is fantastic, and this is shown in the way they nullified a free scoring Germany.
If you are watching it for an English style all guns blazing death or glory battle then yes, you are going to be disappointed, but then football is an invasion game and Spain demonstrate very well the principles of attack and defence.

I watch football to be entertained, particularly when it's between two neutral teams from my perspective. Had England played that way and reached the final we'd all be over the moon I guess. Personally I don't find watching a team play keep ball and getting nowhere for ages very entertaining, however technically skillful it is.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Funnily enough, the Dutch are playing like the Germans of old, and the Spanish are playing more like Italy in the past. Meanwhile the Germans were playing more like Brazil and Brazil were more like Spain used to be. Makes it rather hard for all those believers in national stereotypes...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Funnily enough, the Dutch are playing like the Germans of old, and the Spanish are playing more like Italy in the past. Meanwhile the Germans were playing more like Brazil and Brazil were more like Spain used to be. Makes it rather hard for all those believers in national stereotypes...

...amd England were playing like The Scunthorpe 21st Cub Pack Team C :biggrin:

Rebel Ian

Except that Scotland didn't qualify and we did and were rubbish! The desire for National stereotype has been satisfied!!

Spain to win and it's bound to be naff if I watch it.TIA

...amd England were playing like Scotland :biggrin:

Agreed..

mangaman

I think the lack of a fit Torres and Fabregas throughout hasn't helped.

They've had to adapt from the Euro Champ winning side, which was much more free-flowing.

I can't believe the Dutch are even on speaking terms with each other still. Normally 4 or 5 have thrown their toys away and started to argue - as you say they look like an efficient German-style team.

I'd still much rather watch the Spanish than the Dutch (or English) . The way the Spanish nullified the Germans showed they are well organised at the back as well. A bit like the Arsenal of 3 or 4 years ago.

Do we still have some sort of bet FM? I seem to remember my national stereotyping going into overdrive and betting you Spain wouldn't win

longers

Legendary Member
Been a lively start by Spain,more importantly what channel are we watching it on? I'm on the beeb for Lawro's comments

I'm not watching it on BBC as I've no tv licence. Be naughty that would.

It "sounds" like the philistines in SJ's post are getting the violence they hoped for!

potsy

Rambler
Been a lively start by Spain,more importantly what channel are we watching it on? I'm on the beeb for Lawro's comments

I'm not watching it on BBC as I've no tv licence. Be naughty that would.

It "sounds" like the philistines in SJ's post are getting the violence they hoped for!
Well there's been more bookings than shots at goal so that tells it's own story,I'll be amazed if either team finish with 11 men.
That 'karate kick' from De Jong was a shocker(like Cantonas against Palace,but on the field instead of in the crowd)

Top Bottom