spanners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
? I do not know then

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
spandex said:
? I do not know then

Thought you knew everything Spandex?:rolleyes:

Its also the same bike, that i have to slowly tighten up the bolts, doing abit a time and on each side, or the cones tighten themself up for some reason.
The guy whos lending me the bike told me about it and said he tried to fix it, but it still ends up doing it.

Bigtwin

Lidi yesterday - full set (8?) open/rings for under a fiver. Looked fine for general occasional bike use.

tyred

Legendary Member
Bigtwin said:
Lidi yesterday - full set (8?) open/rings for under a fiver. Looked fine for general occasional bike use.

If it's the one's they sold in the past, these are excellent value for money. I took a car to pieces with Lidl spanners. They may not be a nicely finished or as slim fitting as more expensive spanners but they are perfectly serviceable.

SimonC

Joe24 said:
Thought you knew everything Spandex?:angry:

Its also the same bike, that i have to slowly tighten up the bolts, doing abit a time and on each side, or the cones tighten themself up for some reason.
The guy whos lending me the bike told me about it and said he tried to fix it, but it still ends up doing it.

Cos your loading up the bearings when you tighten the nuts.

peanut

they shouldn't be Simon :angry:
if tightening the axle nuts is loading the bearings its definitely because the locknut and bearing nut are not being properly locked together first .

You need to use two cone spanners , adjust the bearing cone until its correct then tighten the cone locknut and cone together .Make sure the bearing cone and locknut on the other side is also locked to one another
Then no amount of tightening the axle locknut will press on the bearings.

SimonC

peanut said:
they shouldn't be Simon ;)
if tightening the axle nuts is loading the bearings its definitely because the locknut and bearing nut are not being properly locked together first .

You need to use two cone spanners , adjust the bearing cone until its correct then tighten the cone locknut and cone together .Make sure the bearing cone and locknut on the other side is also locked to one another
Then no amount of tightening the axle locknut will press on the bearings.

Does a bit IMHO, not by turning the cone locknut or cone when you tighten the axle nut or quick release, I guess by compressing the axle a bit? Sounds unlikely now I've written it.:biggrin:

Seem to recall it happening though, and reading about it elsewhere also.

Top Bottom