Spares bike id please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robsa

Über Member
Bought this last weekend as a spares bike for the raleigh lenton a couple of weeks ago. Now,before i start robbing it out for the better condition parts for the lenton id like to know if its just grey porridge or maybe something a bit better.
20181126_145503.jpg

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
20181126_145554.jpg

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
The head badge is silver with pale blue lettering. The crank arms are black enameled. Frame and forks have been slathered in what appears to be smoothrite.

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
I've already robbed off the non drive crank.
Its got dunlop competition wheels,rat trap pedals,a knackered brooks B15 saddle ( which ive robbed off just see what it looked like on the lenton)and an undated AW sturmey archer hub.

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Im going to rob off the decent chrome bits , cables, rat traps and 3speed rear wheel for the lenton and with the remains of this and the spares pile I'll have a bash at making a 'guv'not' style path racer.

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Yeah same size wheels as the lenton biggs. Whats throwing me though is the black enameled cranks and chainring. No chrome on them at all.

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
The story behind this bike. The guy i bought it off rescued it from a skip where he works. The original owner rode it to work everyday all his working life. Then about a fortnight before he retired he dropped dead at work. The bike had sat in the cycle shed for about 15yr because no-one had the heart to throw it out.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I wondered if it was an early 50s korean war lack of chrome thing.
From this post,

The story behind this bike. The guy i bought it off rescued it from a skip where he works. The original owner rode it to work everyday all his working life. Then about a fortnight before he retired he dropped dead at work. The bike had sat in the cycle shed for about 15yr because no-one had the heart to throw it out.

It could be pre-war, the thing that makes me think it's early is the undated AW hub.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It was the geometry, screw head set and non bolted in seat stays that made me think of the 50's. However, as a child of the 70's I'm a bit "fish out of water" going back this far lol
I'm a child of the 60s so it's before my time too. :laugh:

It's the 'undated' SA hub that puzzles me, anyone know when they started giving em a date code.

Top Bottom