Sparks - This town ain't big enough for the both of us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Barmy,the lot of them....specially the one with the Hitler moustache xx(

Very very popular band at the time......yes, i remember them well.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I remember it just as you tell it. It's a great song from a great band.

The only other time I remember a fuss after TotP in the schoolplayground was after Gary Nuuman's Are Friends Electric.

The thing with Sparks "This town" is still as fresh and unique today as the day I first heard it.

I 'eard that... Pardon.

Indeed I do! :tongue: It made a huge impact, and as Uncle mort rightly said, everyone was going round singing it.

I heard 'Are Friends Electric' on the radio yesterday and was going to put up a sentimental post; didn't get round to it.

Laurie Anderson's 'O Superman' also had 'something' about it, but you either loved it or hated it. I loved it.

bobbyp

Missus P went to see them the other night. Apparently still bonkers as ever. They've been doing a 21 night residency in Islington where each night they play one of their albums from start to finish, that album was the one she chose to go and see.

gbb

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
Indeed I do! :tongue: It made a huge impact, and as Uncle mort rightly said, everyone was going round singing it.

I heard 'Are Friends Electric' on the radio yesterday and was going to put up a sentimental post; didn't get round to it.

Laurie Anderson's 'O Superman' also had 'something' about it, but you either loved it or hated it. I loved it.

Again, something quite different at the time...i loved it.... and still play it.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Uncle Mort said:
They've just played it live on the Culture Show (without the benefit of the Muff Winwood production of course). I still remember this when they played it for the first time on TotP and everyone in the school playground was singing it the next day. It was like the Martians had just landed.They are still bonkers. Do you remember it as well? (You'd have to be 45+ I guess)

no you don't :tongue:

red_tom

There was a good Front Row (Radio 4 program) about Sparks the other week. There's a bit of info here but no listen again sadly.

Sparks
Formed in Los Angeles in 1970, by brothers Ron (keyboards) and Russell Mael (vocals), electronic pop duo Sparks (This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us) is about to embark on a 21-date residency, which sees the brothers play all 21 of their albums - an album a night. Before embarking on this epic tour Mark Lawson talks to brothers Ron and Russell Mael about their new album and extensive back catalogue.

Sparks are playing at the Islington Academy in London from May 16 to June 13 2008. Exotic Creatures From The Deep is released on 19 May.

llllllll

bobbyp said:
Missus P went to see them the other night. Apparently still bonkers as ever. They've been doing a 21 night residency in Islington where each night they play one of their albums from start to finish, that album was the one she chose to go and see.

I wanted to go and see that, but it was £125 a ticket :smile:. Can't afford that kind of money, well, maybe if Elvis does a comeback :biggrin:.

Sparks are great though and they've got strength in depth in their albums, Propaganda probably my favourite, though Kimono and Indiscreet are both great. Incredibly after 20 albums (don't think the 21st is out yet) they still sound different and fresh, Hello Young Lovers released a couple of years back, is another great album (takes a few listens to 'get it' though). Can't wait to hear their new one.

twowheelsgood

llllllll said:
I wanted to go and see that, but it was £125 a ticket :biggrin:. Can't afford that kind of money, well, maybe if Elvis does a comeback :biggrin:.

Sparks are great though and they've got strength in depth in their albums, Propaganda probably my favourite, though Kimono and Indiscreet are both great. Incredibly after 20 albums (don't think the 21st is out yet) they still sound different and fresh, Hello Young Lovers released a couple of years back, is another great album (takes a few listens to 'get it' though). Can't wait to hear their new one.

Wow, I could have made that post. "Propaganda" is an absolute fave of mine and a permanent resident on my ipod. I also love "Plagiarism". For those that don't know it's Sparks (and sometimes a few friends) covering themselves! I'd guess the arrangements would be very much like the live shows they are currently doing and a pretty good introduction to their music. I'm only sad it misses two of my favourites "Sex town USA" and "Tryouts for the human race" (surely the only song written from the perspective of a sperm?). "'lil Beethoven" and "hello young lovers" are to best examples of their recent work and "Kimono" and "Angst in my pants" for their earlier stuff.

Sparks aren't for everyone and not all of it works but the music world needs people like them. They exist outside of pop genre and fashion (and until recently appeared to have had an opt-out on the ageing process) and most importantly don't take themselves too seriously.

Of course "#1 song in heaven" will be played at my funeral.

signed,

The suburban homeboy.

Top Bottom