Spazzing out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Got my superhero's mixed up here. Iwas thinking of Captain Marvel, but its Captain America.

You could put it down to this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Gauntlet

classic33

Leg End Member
Request from one Sean to Shaun.

That this thread not be deleted or parts changed. You are not responsible for what others have said, They ARE.

In the same way we as cyclists have stereo types to overcome & the comments that come with that stereotyping. The disabled have similar to live with & overcome.

I know on both counts, neither is much fun to live with when they are aimed at you.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
Jeez who pissed in your cornflakes?

Definitions of Spaz on the Web:
The word spastic is used differently depending on location which has led to some controversy and misunderstanding. The term generally originates from spasticity, a medical condition characterised by hypertonia, or a high degree of muscle tightness. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaz

classic33

Leg End Member
blazed said:
Jeez who pissed in your cornflakes?

Definitions of Spaz on the Web:
The word spastic is used differently depending on location which has led to some controversy and misunderstanding. The term generally originates from spasticity, a medical condition characterised by hypertonia, or a high degree of muscle tightness. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaz

The word spastic is used differently depending on location which has led to some controversy and misunderstanding. Derived via Latin from the Greek spastikos ("drawing in" or "tugging"), the word originally referred to the sudden muscle contractions characteristic of the medical condition spasticity, which underlies spastic diplegia and many other forms of cerebral palsy. But the word in common speech can also be used in a pejorative context. The level of severity depends on whether one understands it as it is used in the United States or the United Kingdom [1]. In the UK it can be considered an offensive way to refer to the disabled[2], while in the US it is more closely associated with hyperactivity or clumsiness and carries few offensive connotations. In India the word spastic is used without negative connotations, with The Spastics Society of India being India’s most noted non-profit and non-governmental organization (NGO), working for neuro-muscular and developmental disabilities.

Selective editing on your part.
Above the opening description in full.

As I said "Must be the worst choice of forum title seen to date."

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
classic33 said:
Selective editing on your part.
Above the opening description in full.

No i didnt bother going to wikipedia i copy pasted exactly what was listed. Anyway Mr PC brigade i am sorry for causing you so much distress it was not my intention.

"In the UK it can be considered an offensive way to refer to the disabled[2]"

I think the key words there are "can be" its not an offensive word as such its all about context.

classic33 said:
As I said "Must be the worst choice of forum title seen to date."

i guess you're one of those people that are turning this country into the politically correct nightmare it has become?

the sort who complain about phrases such as 'brainstorming' in meetings incase it offends epileptics.

btw, i'm writing this while monging out on the sofa.

blazed said:
I went to the doctors and after testing he found i have metal alloy adamantium bonded to my skeleton. He was gobsmacked and said the only other person/mutant he knows who has this is Wolverine. I guess this explains my exceptional speed on the bike.

Stay away from magnets or you may kick yourself to death:biggrin::biggrin:

classic33

Leg End Member
Blazed
Why quote a source if you never went to check what that source said. Going a bit further would have got you this.

Hypertonia is an upper motor neuron dysfunction marked by an abnormal increase in tightness of muscle tone and a reduced ability of a muscle to stretch (i.e. an increased stiffness). Hypertonia is usually a feature of spasticity in particular muscles. These features are common in cerebral palsy.

A form of hypertonia unrelated to spasticity is known as Paratonia which is associated with dementia.

Trustysteed
I'd say your guess is a bit wide of the mark. Iv'e had to put up with comments like this all my life. As I said, disabled & having somebody think their being clever by using such a term, which he admits he never checked, is annoying. I'd also thought that it had died out. Apparently not with some people.
I feel the term is outdated & offensive.

Top Bottom