SPD Adjustments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I took my first ride (26 miles) on my new SPD pedals on Wednesday, all was good apart from some numbness and pins and needles in my left foot.

I am assuming this can be addressed by moving the cleat within its mounting on the shoe - at present it is as far forward as it can be so I'll move it backwards slightly. Are there any other adjustments to the ste up of my bike that I should consider ?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Do you have them oriented properly? - Take a look at: http://bikedynamics.co.uk/fit01.htm

Ajax Bay

Guru
this can be addressed by moving the cleat within its mounting on the shoe - at present it is as far forward as it can be so I'll move it backwards slightly. Are there any other adjustments
Recommend reading Steve Hogg's article on cleat positioning and also try a search on 'cleat position cycle'.
I have mine as far back as they can go, but it does depend on your style of cycling.
If you're a big rugby bloke with size 11s, the cleats need to be even further back than someone with small feet.
Depending on the shoe (ie less rigid sole), SPDs (as opposed to road cleats) can result in more localised pressure on the foot sole (2 bolts, not 3 in a triangle or 4 in a square) and make the symptoms described in the OP more likely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Thanks for the link, I'll have a read through.

Funnily enough I'm a small rugby bloke with little diddy size 7 feet (typical gobby scrum half type !). My shoes only have the 2 bolts so I can see that getting the position right is going to be critical. Much fiddling to be done this weekend.

Lemond

New shoes too? If so, the numbness / pins and needles could be because you did them up too tight. In warmer months my feet definitely swell a little when I'm riding and I often need to adjust the straps mid ride.

Top Bottom