SPD Cleat Nut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
Whilst out riding last night, I unclipped and found that my shoe had come off but the cleat was still stuck in my pedals!! This is the second time it has happened to me so now both sets of screw holes have gone.
I can't seem to find anywhere that has the cleat nuts in stock so my question is has anyone tried using a tap to rethread one?

If I'm reading your post right, you've stripped the thread on the cleat plate. Assuming that they are SPD This is a pretty thin piece of metal so I wouldn't think you'd have much re tapping it for a bigger bolt. I don't think I've ever heard of it being done either. The easiest thing to do IMO would be to buy new cleats, they'll come with a new cleat plate, I don't think you can buy them separately.

threshold

Very similar thing happened to me this week, managed to put a 5mm finishing tap down the screw thread, and fitted a cut down 5mm bolt through the cleat into the shoe--- Worked a treat!

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
Re-tapping it didn't work!!! I might try something similar to what threshold has done. I managed to get a cleat nut to use for now so I will have a go as an experiment whilst I wait for my new cleats to be delivered.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've stripped them a couple of times over 20 years. Now I use nutlock rather than too much force. Hen's teeth are easier to find in the shops.

Top Bottom