Spd light weight cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi can anyone recommend a pair of spd cycling shoes ive just bought a bike for audax that im hoping to do nexr year the bike has spd pedals.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
spd mtb 2 bolt or spd sl 3 bolt road style pedals?

Assuming 2 bolt. I like a lot my Sidi Dragon carbon shoes. I use them mainly for MTB but they are also my commuter shoes. Super comfy and light and of course very stiff soles.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
I fancy doing audaxs and the bike isn't a racing bike but I'd like something not to heavy but I'm not going to get carbon soles and all that. I thought guys on here who do audaxs and have spd pedals might give me some pointers in shoes cheers for the advice anyway.

I thought guys on here who do audaxs and have spd pedals might give me some pointers in shoes cheers for the advice anyway.
That's me.
I use Shimano shoes.
Decent ones are not cheap, but well worth the money.
Mine cost £150, but that was 4 years ago and they will easily last as long again. £20 per year seems like good value.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Have a look at the so-called gravel shoes - they are lighter and less agressive soles that pure mtb shoes but still with recessed spd cleats

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you are buying Shimano shoes... be aware that they tend to be smaller than their nominal size. I find them too narrow so I have to go longer to get the width right. I take about EU 44.5 in normal shoes but about 46.5 in Shimano.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you have narrow feet, that might not be quite such an issue. I gave a pair away because they squashed my wide feet so much across the toes that I had problems for weeks after just one ride.

Planet X do some nice MTB shoes for about £60. Fine for long road rides and there's grip so you can walk around on them without risk of slipping.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i dont do audax but i do club rides of around 60-70 miles with a couple of century rides a year, i use spd pedals as i also commute so it saves running 2 different styles of pedal,
Currently the commuter bike runs m530 dual sided pedals and the club ride bikes use a520 or a600 single sided spd pedals.
Shoe wise i have northwave, i ran spike mk 2 for years and found them really comfy , new mk 2 look similar
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-spike-3-mtb-shoes
another pair i like are specialized, more of a touring shoe i dont think they are available now so this the closest i could find ?
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sport-mountain-bike-shoes/p/156078?color=227993-156078

Last edited:
Top Bottom